[3830] CQWW CW K6NA SOSB/40 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 26 19:37:00 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K6NA
Operator(s): K6NA
Station: K6NA

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: SoCal

   40: 1250    37      121
Total: 1250    37      121  Total Score = 542,888

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This year SOAB was out, because I have unrepaired damage to some antenna systems
here.  I considered 10m single-band, but decided against it when I saw the news
of solar flares and imminent CME effects.

I enjoyed making the effort on 40m the old-fashioned way:  No Internet
connection, and not even using the 2nd VFO very much.  Lots of fun, finding and
pouncing on the new ones, and running stations when I could.

The first evening, conditions were spotty, with mostly just the bigger European
signals making it through to California.  The flare-effects were definitely
there, with buzzy multi-path evident everywhere.  During the second evening
though, we had workable Europeans, including many of the smaller stations, for
many hours here.  Our JA opening was excellent both nights, with no aurora
effects observed on that path (as usual).

I missed Zones 21, 34, and 39.  With ST2AR gone I expected no QSO in 34; I
hunted in vain for 5R8IC (39), who I worked on 40m a couple of days prior to
the contest, and anyone in Zone 21.  Was hoping to find A45XR or T6LG there on
the longpath, but it was not to be.

Thanks to all for the QSOs!

Glenn K6NA