[3830] CQWW CW N8II SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 26 20:30:33 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    4     4        4
   80:  105    17       46
   40:  188    21       69
   20:  733    35      105
   15:  646    27       92
   10:  541    26       84

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was as done as the Thanksgiving turkey before I started. I had to take my
daughter to the airport about 90 minutes away Sunday afternoon and work was
just wild this week with too many on maternity/paternity leave besides others
sick. My FT-1000 is not really a contest grade radio, suffers birdies in a CW
contest and antennas are not very competetive to just down right poor and my
160 sloper feedline was broken. I ended up operating the first 3 hours, resumed
at 1130Z thru 1815 then most of the time thru 0330, then Sunday from 1115 thru
1800, then less than 1 more hour.

Needless to say, the contest started off with very disturbed conditions and
things gradually returned to normal by around Saturday afternoon. JA's were not
bad on 20 at the start, but absolutely nothing farther away in the same
direction or farteher east could be worked. Zones 35, 36, and 38 were loud as
was SA, but zone 9 stations were weak and very fluttery. 40 was only open to
southern EU with a few farther north workable on scatter. All during the
disturbed period stations in the Balkans and nearby were in the sweet spot from
here, YO, 9A, S5 seemed to be loudest especially true on 10M where many loud
YO's were logged. Sunday they were much weaker on 10 but thankfully 10 was open
to southern Scandinavia, LY, UA1, UA6 but not UA3/4. Saturday evening on 15, the
JA's were loud for about 90 minutes, but nothing else could be found in Asia, no
other zones except 19.

My best rates were Sunday in the 150's 12Z (1/2 20M 1/2 10M) and 13Z on 10.
Saturday there were short streches of very good rates follwed by no takers on
pretty good frequencies. Running up high in the band just was not productive.

My biggest surprise was a call from 9M2MRS on 20 around 1730Z, completely
unreadable until I tried moving the beam. TX1CW in zone 32 was poached around
1930Z on 20 Saturday quite loud on LP for so early.

We returned home with 20 minutes to go and miraculously when I fired up 9M6YRB
was in the passband, one call and in log; he had few callers. I added five more
20M mults before the end which was pretty amazing considering I was on the night
before shopping for Asians probably too long. DV, RI1FJ, YB (weak), VP2M, and ZF
were added.

Thanks to all of the callers and for being patient when the lids called out of
turn making everyone wait longer. When the bands were open to EU, there was
plenty of activity. AF activity was better than phone, OC was poor as usual
particularly from VK. Hopefully, bigger scores will come, but this was my best
WW CW score because I've mostly done single bands or operated with multis.
All in all the the ops were very civilized at least with spacing run
frequencies far enough apart to not suffer much QRM.