[3830] CQWW CW W6PH SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 26 21:00:35 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA (Inyo)

  160:   23     8       10
   80:  162    19       37
   40:  363    29       86
   20:  291    31       88
   15:  703    34      102
   10:  268    26       65

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:  IC-781 AL1200 N1MM
Antennas:  Field Day temporary antennas 60 feet or less

The bands were not real good in SoCal. The 10m band only opened marginally to
Europe on Sunday with S1-2 signals from the big stations.  It was difficult to
attract them and I didn't stay there long as 15m was in very good shape and I
could get answers to my CQ's.  Very few European contacts the first night on
40m.  But I picked up quite a few multipliers on Saturday night before taking a
seven hour break.  Thank goodness for all the JA stations.  They represent about
half of my contacts.  My contact total was about equal to last year but my
multipliers were down about 15 per cent.

The biggest turnoff in these contests are all the stations who transmit TU
between contacts without a callsign.  I wish there was a contest rule that
stated that a station must give his call sign at least once a minute.  Even
when the station finally gives a call sign it is often drowned out by callers.

I made a strategic error in using N1MM this year and not being familiar enough
with it.  There were probably 30 or so contacts that never made it into the log
because they were deleted when I turned off the frequency before logging the
contacts.  I found out after the contest that it is a default setting and could
be changed.  Automation for a 70 year old is dangerous stuff.

The other issue that came up this year was not being able to use computer
keying on 20 meters because the RF locked up the key.  All my 20 meter contacts
were manually sent.  I have had this problem in the past but was manageable with
power reduced to 700 watts.

The antennas come down tomorrow until next October except for the A3S at 40
feet.

Despite these issues and the propagation, it was a great time.  I especially
appreciate the support that my wife of 47 years gives me.  Sharon kept me fed
and my thermos full of hot coffee.

                          73, Kurt, W6PH