[3830] CQWW CW AB1J SOSB(A)/15 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 27 14:41:23 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOSB(A)/15 LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA

   10:  434    26      100

Conditions seemed average for this point in the sunspot cycle.
I wonder if the fall of 2011 will end up being the gold standard
for Cycle 24.

I'm pretty comfortable now with operating Assisted, but I
still have this nagging feeling it's not the manly way to go.

I worked an even 100 countries on 15m before log checking. I
thought this was neat for 20 hours on one band with low power
and an attic dipole.

I spent some time on 40m to test out the micro-tuner (MTU-80/40)
I bought a few weeks ago for the FT-2K. It is useful in an
enviromnent with a mixture of very strong and very weak stations
which is a good description of 40m in contests. I need to use
it more to determine if it's really useful to me. To anyone who
is thinking about getting one, I can say that if you never use
the Yaesu VRF feature you have no need for one of the
micro-tuners.

I followed TF3CW's recommendation to get compression socks and
had no problem with swelling. It's not a big problem for me,
but it first showed up in the 2011 WPX-CW. For some reason it
bothered me psychologically more than many of the other signs
of aging. Because I did 15m I could sleep normally and I ate
as I could, spreading it out. Even managed a pastrami sandwich
with my customary Saturday night beer and never missed a beat.

Thanks for all the QSOs.

See some of you in the Ten-Meter RTTY next weekend.

73,
Kermit, AB1J