[3830] CQWW CW WA8HSB SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Nov 29 13:17:44 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WA8HSB
Operator(s): WA8HSB
Station: WA8HSB

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: EM50vp - Mobile, AL

   40:   52    12       33
   20:   24    11       19
   15:   54    15       30
   10:   56    16       29

Had a great time!  Finished completely modifying my attic antenna farm Friday
evening so I was excited to see how well they performed. (Thanks to AC0C for
his encouraging article in NCJ May/June 2012)

Due to family obligations, I have not been able to operate this contest for
several years but this year was different.  I was able to spend more time in
the seat and that makes the real difference.  Mediocre antennas and QRP make
for a difficult time but I was extremely please with 40 meters Saturday night.
The inverted vee at the peak of the attic worked very well into EU.  20 meters
is a tough band for QRP so I concentrated on 15 & 10.  Missed EU Saturday
morning due to propagation and missed JA and VK/ZL all together.

All Q's were S&P and I was surprised at the weaker stations that came right
back to me with only one call. Finding those gems between the pile-ups is
always fun.

Used my TS-850S turned down to 5 watts (as always) to a 40 meter inverted vee,
triband 2 element wire beam pointed to NE, elevated vertical for 15/10, and
triband dipole for SE/NW.

As with the other operators who choose to (or must) operate QRP, I can not
express my appreciation enough to all the very talented operators out there
with great ears and persistence who pulled me out of the QRM, QSB, and noise.
You are awesome!  Thank you for your patience and diligence.

73/72, John  WA8HSB