[3830] SS SSB K7IR Multi-Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Nov 30 11:00:30 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K7IR
Operator(s): K7IR WA7IR K7XS K7XH K7EDX N9ADG
Station: K7IR

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: EWA

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

As the air turns cooler, the leaves rustle, you hear the faint word on the wind
-- "Sweepstakes."

"What are we doing for Sweepstakes?" is all it takes to resume the discussion
that didn't end last time, won't end this year, or perhaps any year.

We performed the autumn ritual as we've done it for years before, loading our
vehicles with computers, radios, cables, antennas, and parts, and heading to
Eastern Washington.

After tens of hours of antenna setup, a solid day of connecting all of the
radios and computers,  we believed we were ready, even getting in some N1MM
logging practice for those of us who hadn't used it since
last year.

At contest start, Murphy nipped us, as we'd forgotten to reset the serial
number on the master computer --  our first QSO was recorded as #20. If you
think you were confused on the receiving end, it made for some blood pressure
spikes on the sending end too. The lesson learned was to remember to start a
new log, don't just delete the contacts out of the practice log!

We had a great first evening, stopping at nearly 1100 Q's in the log the first
evening. We even had the third interlocked station on for a time as conditions
allowed, though the locked-out ops on station 1 and 2 were subject to more
frustration.

The 2nd day was a different story; We started out well, however by mid-morning
it seemed difficult to keep the aggregate rate in the 'doing well' range.
 Checkpointing our progress vs. other M-station serial numbers, we knew we had
a lot of  ground to make up, and it turned out that weren't ultimately able to
accomplish that goal. K7XH had to leave early on Sunday -- it seems that only a
broken pipe and flooded basement at home could tear him away from the radio.

We did work a lot of Q stations this year, but seemingly fewer Schools.

Antenna complement this year included a DB42, DB36, and 4 element SteppIR yagi
between 50 and 72 feet, and one brand new portable antenna (CrankIR) that was
being tested under contest conditions; rigs were two K3s, one TS-950.

As everyone's diets have evolved over the years, so has the food -- fewer bad
snacks, more real food. The Pomodoro pasta and whole roast turkey (light on the
salt) seemed to be crowd pleasers!

Thanks for the contacts, hope to see you again next year in Sweepstakes!