[3830] CQWW CW DH8BQA SOSB/10 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Nov 30 15:44:02 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: DH8BQA
Operator(s): DH8BQA
Station: DH8BQA

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: JO73ce

   10: 1012    35      131
------------------------------
Total: 1012    35      131  Total Score = 372,504

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Elecraft K3, PA + 6 ele OWA Yagi @ 60 ft.

Conditions poor especially the first day. Just a hand full of JA's. North
America only via F2 side-scatter beaming South America but with a few loud
signals at times. Band closed very early at 16:30 UTC.

Second day a bit better. No JAs direct path and just a few on long path but USA
open direct path. Called high up in the band to better manage the callers, my CW
is not perfect for high speed contesting yet. ;-) Band closed early again around
16:20 UTC (no signals at all anymore except groundwave) but opened up about half
an hour later again with patchy conditions, i.e. only single regions workable
for 10-15 minutes, then gone therefor the next region reachable. My theory is
this depends on antenna elevation angles in conjunction with varying F2 hop
distances. What-ever it is, it was good to work XE as a double mult (although
sigs in the noise) besides a few more country mult's and also brought (the
only) 2 callers from zone 3. :-)

Overall I can probably be happy taking condx into account. For comparison last
year worked 36 zones and 148 countries with 5 watts QRP already although that
was with assistance. Nevertheless it speaks a clear language for/against
conditions ...

Hope condx will be better in ARRL-10 in 2 weeks!

73, Olli - DH8BQA