[3830] TxQP K5KG Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Oct 1 00:44:31 EDT 2012

                    Texas QSO Party

Call: K5KG
Operator(s): K5KG
Station: K5KG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 17:24

  160:    0      0      0
   80:    8      0      0
   40:   64     61      0
   20:  202    153      0
   15:   59     15      0
   10:    1      1      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
  UHF:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  334    230      0  Mults = 200  Total Score = 309,900

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

A big tnx to all the Texas ops for putting on a great performance.  My hats off
to the TxQP organizers, all the fixed stations that covered the many bands, and
to the mobiles who provided the rabbits for us to chase.

Lets first talk about condx.  First the wx.  The mobiles are to be commended
for persisting in the face of the torrential rain. K5CM related that he was
driving and operating, and how difficult it was doing both with all the rain
and terrible driving condx.  Next the bands.  10m was crawling with dx, but we
did manage to work two stns, N5JB and NX5M.  15m was also crawling with dx, but
skip shorted up in the late afternoon making Tx stations workable.
Unfortunatley, it seemed as though many Tx stns started beaming west, therby
making them hard to work from back east.  20m was the money band, as was 40m
later in the evening.  I saved 80 cw to the end and managed to nail K5K, K5LH,
K5OT, K6JSS, NX5M, W5CT, W5FIT and W5FR.  Did not even try 75 SSB.

The challenge being mixed mode was trying to decide on the trade off between
stopping to run on a freq vs. chasing the mobile pack.  On Saturday, I spent a
great deal of time running in both modes.  At the end of day one, I had 153
counties, so I realized that chasing the mobiles was going to be the tactic for
Sunday to reach a goal of 200 counties. I finally did manage to get to 200 by
collecting PECO (N5DO), LEE (N5TM), and CALD (W5MJ) in the last 17 minutes.

Now for the mobiles...what a great bunch of ops and terrific signals.  Here is
my count of the top mobiles: N5NA & W0BH (31), W5MJ (27), N5TM & WD5IYT (26),
N5DO (24), K5CM (20), WC5D (16), K5JX (14), and W3DYA (13).  There are two
concerns that I will mention.  For several hours on each of the two mornings,
many of the mobiles stayed on 40 cw working other Tx stations.  From FL their
mobile signals faded into the noise to where they were difficult to copy, and
nearly impossible to break into over the locals in Tx that they were working.
This, no doubt, cost many of us far away from Tx a bunch of juicy mults.  The
other concern is about the mobiles that did not sign their calls frequently
enough.  It was very frustrating having to wait through several Qsos until they
finally signed.  The better practice, IMO, is for the mobiles to sign after
every Q, and most did...but some did not.

All in all, it was a great contest.  I am looking forward to next year
already.

73, George, K5KG