[3830] CQ WW RTTY N2MM SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Oct 1 19:23:24 EDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: N2MM
Operator(s): N2MM
Station: N2MM

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: NJ

   80:   50    60       28       3     5
   40:  342   723       44      58    23
   20:  193   520       23      48    19
   15:  422  1148       25      68    25
   10:  327   943       12      59    24
Total: 1334  3394      130     236    96  Total Score = 1,568,028

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

After 52+ years of phone and cw only, I decided that I needed a new challenge.
Thus in August, I made the plunge into RTTY. I had just gotten my Icom 756 pro
back from repair the Wednesday before the contest. From What I have heard, I
kept the power on my old Alpha 78 down to 500w. Having been an active contester
for more years than I care to remember, it was decided on the Friday of the CQWW
RTTY to give RTTY contesting a try...after all,  how hard could it be?  A
contest is a contest!! Thus I entered my first ever RTTY contest. The rig
worked fine, the software worked fine ( I think) and the antennas worked fine.
The operator did not work fine. Throughout the weekend I struggled trying to
receive stations that were calling me. I found myself constantly trying to tune
in stations using my RIT. Many just were not exactly where I was listening. It
was gosh awful. Heaven help me when I had a pileup. I just never got the hang
of picking out calls. Frustration was the only word that describes my weekend.
Maybe there is someone out there who could clue me in how stations in the US
could make 2000 and 3000+ qsos in a RTTY contest. Unlike SSB and CW where my
ears can easily pick out calls in a pileup and I can work 150+ an hour, RTTY is
definitely a different animal. I would greatly appreciate any secrets.

This might be my first and last ever RTTY contest. Root canal without anethesia
is definitely less painful.

Anyways....thanks for the qsos. I have uploaded my log to LOTW for those
interested.

Carol