[3830] IlQP N9WEW Mobile LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Oct 25 01:09:57 EDT 2012

                    Illinois QSO Party

Call: N9WEW
Operator(s): N9WEW
Station: N9WEW

Class: Mobile LP
QTH:

  160:
   80:               5
   40:             217
   20:              14
------------------------
Total:     0       236  Mults = 90  Total Score = 21,240

First time to operate mobile in a QSO Party. This was a fairly casual operation
as I was coming home from a wedding in MO and had to travel across IL anyway. I
decided the week before to attempt this and gathered up antennas from a few
local hams. I wasn't sure how well a hamstick would work mobile, but having a
good ground seemed to be the key. I would have liked to have stayed in Piatt
county longer, but at the same time wanted to get home and get the car unloaded
before dark. Ended up having an antenna problem the 40M stick half way through
Champaign county. Got out once to redo the connections and inspect it, but it
was intermittent at best. Decided to wait till I got home in Vermilion county
to take a look at it and since I had a spare 40M stick I just put that on there
and worked from that the rest of the contest. I was contemplating going to
another county such as Ford or Iroquois for a while, but decided to stick with
Vermilion since I would have wasted 30 minutes or so just driving there and I'd
lost my driver (wife) to laundry by that time! The last hour and a half of the
contest I worked from my driveway on the same mobile setup but with the new 40M
stick. Seemed to be doing fairly well until the end and then switched to 80M
which was pretty dead from the contest perspective and only ended up with 5 Q's
there to wrap things up.

All in all I learned a lot and the best part is I had a lot of fun doing it. I
think this experience will strongly make me consider a mobile operation for a
future QSO Party.

73,
Josh
N9WEW