[3830] CQWW SSB N6RV SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 28 20:30:44 EDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N6RV
Operator(s): N6RV
Station: N6RV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: LAX

  160:    3     2        2
   80:   15     7        8
   40:   64    20       32
   20:  193    30       73
   15:  274    30       83
   10:  361    29       81
------------------------------
Total:  910   118      279  Total Score = 1,003,219

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks for hearing my low power station! I just want to keep the neighbors
happy. Ten was incredible again. It was wall to wall beyond 29MHz.
Unfortunately everyone stayed up there too long! Another disappointment is
hearing all the Europeans on 40 and not being heard. I forgot how tough 20 SSB
is! Ten was so easy and 15 followed close behind. 160 was wall to wall noise
and 80 was noisy and the signals were weak.

Biggest let down was not getting through to A73A and 7Z1SJ even when no one
else was calling. Also no VU heard here either. We were hearing them LP the
week before the contest and actually cracked the A73A pile up barefoot! I do
not know what happened maybe a lot of splatter.

Radio:  Flex 5000A
Antennas:
160 Shunt Fed Tower
80  Delta Loop 50 feet
40  KLM 2 El 40 66 feet
20/15/10 KT36XA 78 feet / KT34XA 52 feet
Six Pack
Stack Match
Writelog

This contest is a wake up call. I need to complete the antenna upgrades. The 40
meter beam was on the fritz, the 80 meter loop has been rotten for a long time,
both triband yagis need to be cleaned up and the rotating ring needs to be
serviced. The HDX589 is laying in the back yard. Both the 4 element SteppIR and
the DB18E are assembled. A new loop on 80 is in order and the shunt for 160 will
be completed. Next year it will be rock and roll! The Flex misbehaved through
the whole contest. A 50 ohm matching resistor was left out of the design in the
DDS for back matching. With the latest software the radio hangs up and the box
must be shut off and the software rebooted. By next year I will have my Icom
SO2R fully running.

See everyone in the CW contest! It will be fantastic!