[3830] CQWW SSB KR2Q SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 28 22:15:57 EDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: FN20ru

  160:    5     2        2
   80:   29     6       13
   40:   73    14       41
   20:  197    22       77
   15:  226    26       77
   10:  476    22       92

Last year, for CQWW SSB, we had the freak Oct snow storm.  That knocked out my
power for 5 days..starting on Saturday afternoon local time during the contest.
 Record setting pace cut short due to nature.

This year, Murphy hit (and hurricane "Sandy" will hit tomorrow).  I lost the
rotor on the 40m beam (no idea what happened - just makes a clicking sound),
but luckily, it was "stuck" on EUR.  My triband yagi at about 70 feet suddenly
did not work at all...completely dead.  Using my binoculars, I noted that coax
loop (at the far end from the balun on the yagi) was "hanging" by an 8 inch
piece of Scotch 88 tape previously used to "weather-proof" the connection with
the coax running down the tower.  The connection to balun is VFB.  Since my hip
is no longer functioning the way it used to, I don't climb anything any
more...not even a ladder, so tower work is mostly out of the question unless I
want to hurt myself.  And since my "climber" could not get here on zero notice
(he was working on this own station)...oh well.

So my antenna for 10/15/20 was basically my home brew 2L quad at around 55
feet.  The idea of not having my complement of antennas depressed me for most
of the all week.  First I though about just doing monoband 10 QRP.  On Friday,
K5ZD offered me his station, but it is not "cool" any more to give the XYL no
notice about leaving for the weekend - she put up with me doing that for many
decades.  But on Friday, around 2200z, I decided to give it a full go any way.

Last year I ended in the afternoon (when the power disappeared) with over 500k.
 This year, after 24 hours, I again had around 500k.  I don't know if it was
that conditions were down or if I missed my antennas, but my score was less
than last year.

I really missed a pile up of mults on 40 (like those not in EUR)...that was
tough to swallow (no VK, ZL, KH6 and those zones, etc. despite hearing them
with ease..off the back).  Almost nothing in South American and only a couple
zone 8's.

But all in all, it turned out that I had a REALLY enjoyable time in the
contest.  Unlike many years, I was actually having FUN in the last 2 hours of
the contest...something that is VERY difficult for a QRPer to achieve.  The
last new mult worked in the contest was G5O (on 40m).  How did I miss working a
G earlier?

Hopefully, we'll be back to 100% for CW (but no real effort for SS CW)

Rig: Elecraft K3/10 (no 100 watt amp).

de Doug KR2Q