[3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Oct 29 00:40:11 EDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    3     3        3
   40:   31    11       10
   20:   65    20       31
   15:  169    26       66
   10:  267    26       72

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Radio: Elecraft K-2

Antennas:

10-15-20: Three el SteppIR up 32 feet
40:       DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
40-80:    Butternut HF-2V Vertical

Well, no one can complain about the conditions! It certainly was a great
contest for QRP.

There were no outstanding Qs in this contest for me. Just lots and lots of Qs
of countries that are probably on no one's "Most Needed" list.  It was amazing
to go down the 10 M band with my 5 watts and have many stations come back on
the first call!

I was able to work DX on 15 M starting at 15 minutes after sunrise on Saturday,
and at Sunrise on Sunday.  10 M opened to Europe at an hour after sunrise on
both days. 10 M was packed, and I worked several DX stations ABOVE 29.000 MHz!

At age 72 I have had to increase my sleep time somewhat. Instead of 3 or 4
hours I used to take, I slept 4 hours on Fri nite and 6 hrs on Sat nite. Since
I don't get out well on the low bands with my small city lot antennas, I don't
lose a lot of score by adding a couple sleep hours at night.

My DXCC in this contest was 93 different countries, the second highest total
ever in a contest from my home station over the last 22 years. (I had 97 in
last year's CQ WWDX CW) My Zone total was 30.  I had three excellent chances to
work Zone 40 but they just could not hear me.  I also had a decent chance for
Zone 26, but no luck there.

I did this contest 100% S & P.  I never tried to CQ.

It was a great contest and certainly worth the years of waiting since the
bottom of the last cycle.

....Bill   W8QZA / W6QU