[3830] CQWW SSB P40L(@P40L/P49Y) M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Oct 29 10:52:08 EDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40L
Operator(s): P43A, W2GD, W6LD
Station: P40L/P49Y

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Aruba

  160:   20     9       18
   80:  317    18       55
   40: 1076    31      103
   20: 2240    38      135
   15: 2333    34      127
   10: 3104    37      136

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

A last minute decision to do this contest as a multi-single operation resulted
from the confluence of two factors:  (1 W2GD's P4 station was not going to be
"contest ready" due to needed antenna and tower work; and (2) W6LD was still
mulling over his options because he was not looking forward to putting in the
effort needed for a 48 hour single-op entry in a phone contest.

We were delighted that a call to Jean-Pierre, P43A, less than a week before the
contest, rounded out the team, although he would have to join beginning Saturday
morning after returning from an out of country business trip.

W6LD arrived in Aruba the Wednesday afternoon before the contest, leaving
little time for set-up of a multi-single operation.  W2GD had arrived the prior
Tuesday and had used the time to get a jump start on the work needed on his
station.  Most of Thursday was spent repairing the 160 meter and 20 meter
antennas at P40L/P49Y station, after which we figured there would still be
plenty of time for inside station set-up work.  But failure of the 40 meter
yagi the Thursday night before the contest start meant that valuable time and
energy had to be expended on Friday to make the required repair.

Fortunately, master P4 contester and antenna and tower guru, W2GD, was able to
pull the 2 element 40 down from its perch at the top of a 10 foot mast on the
68 foot tower and replace a bad coax jumper at the feed point by lunch time.
That left the afternoon to complete the inside work of station set-up,
including logging software configuration and networking.  It was a bit more
rushed than would have been ideal, but we had it all ready to go by the start
time.

During the contest, low band conditions were very poor with enormous noise
levels Friday night (probably due to the impressive lightening storms visible
in all directions) and no propagation Saturday evening.  By contrast, high band
conditions were very good and included strong long-path openings that played an
important role in grabbing some of the much needed multipliers.

By the half point we were at well over 5000 Qs and were beginning to hope for a
9500 result, but the terrible low band conditions the second night meant that
was not to be.

As always, thanks for all the Q's and congratulations to the many fine
multi-single efforts, including D4C, CR3A and P33W, who continue to give us and
the rest of South America new goals to shot for.

73,

W6LD/40L
W2GD/P40W
P43A