[3830] IaQP NU0Q SO Mobile LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Oct 29 22:27:58 EDT 2012

                    Iowa QSO Party

Call: NU0Q
Operator(s): NU0Q
Station: NU0Q

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH:

------------------------
Total:    416       0  Mults = 66  Total Score = 54,912

Club: Iowa DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Great weather again this year for mobiling across Iowa.  This year, we ran the
counties of Polk, Dallas, Boone, Story, Marshall, Jasper, Poweshiek, Tama,
Benton, Iowa, Linn, Jones, Cedar, Muscatine, and Johnson.  Unfortunately, we
were running late and couldn't stay in some counties long enough to work
everybody who was calling.  Sorry about that.  Next year, maybe I'll plan
better.  I hope people got the counties they needed.

I actually called CQ on 40m SSB a few times, but never got any response.  CW
kept me busy most of the time.

My antenna (screwdriver with magmount on roof) seemed to work fine on 40 and
20, but the SWR would change as I transmitted.  Please let me know if my signal
didn't sound right.  For some reason, I couldn't tune up on other bands.  I'll
work on that before next time.

It's always fun to work Europeans while mobile, and propagation seemed to hold
up all day.  OM2VL was especially loud, even louder than many stateside hams.
And the short skip worked on 20 meters at times, helping me pick up a few Iowa
counties at the other end of the state.

The car worked well in spite of the 150,000+ miles on it.  But we did run into
a road construction delay in Story County where we had to wait about 10 minutes
for a pilot car.  I had checked the website for detours, but I didn't think they
would be working on Saturday!

Thanks to my wife Karen for doing all the driving.  To make it fun for her
also, we stopped at a few points of interest, including the new High Trestle
Trail bicycle bridge near Madrid, the Lincoln Highway bridge in Tama, and the
restored Lincoln Highway bridge in Mt. Vernon.  The ridge road south of the
Iowa river in Tama county was also a beutiful drive.

Thanks to the other mobiles, especially the ones from out of state, for making
the Iowa QSO party successful again this year.  I think there were at least six
mobiles on CW and a few others on SSB.  See you all next year.

73,
Bill
NU0Q