[3830] CQWW SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Oct 30 09:33:28 EDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN

  160:   24     7        9
   80:   62    15       31
   40:  127    24       63
   20:  235    24       83
   15:  351    31       99
   10:  591    28      103

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

SOFTWARE: TR4W v.4.244c http://www.tr4w.com

  BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points Countries     Zones
 160SSB        24           24       42         9         7
  80SSB        63           62      144        31        15
  40SSB       127          127      348        63        24
  20SSB       235          235      657        83        24
  15SSB       351          351      998        99        31
  10SSB       594          591     1715       103        28

 Totals      1394         1390     3904       388       129

    Final Score = 2018368 points.

First 24 hours almost a carbon copy of last year QSO and
score-wise.  Second 24 hours not so good here.  This contest
was 100% prerecorded messages - no realtime voice capability.
I needed to use 20dB preamp to record some new messages -
that is, my  voice is 20dB down from last year, when I could
barely talk.  When trying to use the preamp inline with the
rig, had some bad feedback problems, so could only record
offline.  Only  had 174 QSOs running on 10meters - had real
difficulty finding a frequency that people would come back
to my CQs, even above 29MHz.  The real killer was that every
few QSOs that the DVP would act up and send partial messages;
that is, instead of sending AB1CDE it would send B C E; the
only fix for that was to exit TR4W and re-launch it.
This started Saturday morning; it got so bad that combined
with the problems on 20/40 Saturday night (see below about
rotor) that I QRT went to bed early Saturday night and
turned off the computer.  Even with a cold boot Sunday
morning, the problem with the  DVP kept recurring.
And, when the DVP didn't work correctly in the CQ mode,
then the ALT-D  second radio command didn't work properly,
either.  A pretty frustrating Sunday here.

Some of the signals heard here on 80 & 160 were the best
ever - like HK1NA and LU2DXT on 160 - but there was a big-time
lack of activity from  zones 8 & 9 compared to past years.
There were way too many stations from there I only heard
on five bands.  Thanks to KH1NA, KP2M and VP2MDG for
providing 6 band opportunities.

I noticed Sunday afternoon that the broadband noise (hiss)
was S4 on 10meters (it was S0 on the dummy load) in every
direction.  It is generally S1 on a deadband here, so I
wonder if that was the residual level of QRM from all the
activity worldwide??

My prop pitch rotor turns the 20 & 40 meter beams FB,  but
by the end of the contest I found that the antennas were
90 degrees off; not wind blown (the antennas and mast are
pinned and show no signs of budging even in the big winds);
seems to be a problem with the reed switch counting pulses
differently in different directions - been fighting this
problem for over a year now.  It is nearly a ten minute
round trip to the bottom of the tower to check out the
direction so eye-ball calibration is not an option
during the contest.  Hard to work guys with 100w
when they are off the ends of the elements!

Thank goodness I don't need a DVP for the CW weekend next
month!

                             2012 CQ-WW-SSB N4TZ
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     4     1     2     1     1     3    12
   Canada calls =    13    24    11    14    22    16   100
       NA calls =     5    16    16    31    30    33   131
       SA calls =     2     6    12    42    43    78   183
     Euro calls =     0    12    70   133   185   425   825
  African calls =     0     4     4     7    10    14    39
    Asian calls =     0     0     2     1     9     5    17
    Japan calls =     0     0     3     2    40    12    57
    Ocean calls =     0     0     7     4    11     8    30

    Total calls =    24    63   127   235   351   594  1394