[3830] CWOpen K1TN HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Sep 2 04:02:13 EDT 2012

                    CWops CW Open - 2000Z-2359Z

Call: K1TN
Operator(s): K1TN
Station: K1TN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Wisconsin

Total:  162    90  Total Score = 14,580

No dedicated software so same disclaimer as for Session 1 re mults and score.

Activity seemed down from Session 1. Was doing OK until disaster struck at
2227Z. Was working DL8PG on 20 Meters when the amp SWR faulted, which is a
pretty spectacular event, an LED light show. The Palstar BT1500A balanced line
tuner was not tuning. I fiddled with it, tried other bands, no luck. Went
outside to look at the doublet, which was still up and hadn't been eaten by a
bear. Dang.

So I took the amp and tuner off line, threw a 4:1 balun on the feed line, and
used the internal auto tuner in the TS590S --which always works on all bands --
except now it seemed shaky, intermittent. I managed a few Qs on 40, worked N4ZZ
on 80 with probably about one watt, and threw in the towel.

The Palstar tuner is only about 10 days old. I guess either something in it let
go, or I have a bad coax jumper (unlikely).

Needless to say I didn't make it on for the last session. I just hit the rack.

Jim Cain
At The K1TN Unsuperstation
In-the-Woods, Wisconsin