[3830] All Asian SSB KL7RA(AL7IF) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Sep 2 22:00:01 EDT 2012

                    All Asian DX Contest, SSB

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): AL7IF
Station: KL7RA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Kenai, AK

   40:  625   135
   20:  243    98
   15: 1133   215
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total: 2032   469  Total Score = 960,512

Thanks to Rich for allowing me to use his station for the weekend. I wanted to
do a serious effort in this one, as a warm-up for the fall contest season. It
turned out to be a good one.

I started out on ten and fifteen, but excellent first and second hour rates on
15 grabbed my attention, and I never bothered to really work ten, where there
were only a very few weak stations. Had I known that ten was going to go
downhill from there, I might have put more time in there. In the middle of the
night friday/saturday, there was an excellent 10 meter opening to Europe, but
there was no propagation to Asia. As it was, 15 was the money band late into
the evening, and it was hard to justify moving away from the rate. When 15
finally slowed a bit, 40 took up the slack, and ran excellent rates all night,
and up until local sunrise.

The pattern was repeated on Saturday, 15, and then 40. I tried to make hay on
20 during the transitions, but 20 was never really able to match the rates on
either of the other bands. Ten was never more than whispers in the static.

On Saturday, I took a few minutes to look up the contest records, and realized
I was getting close to N7ZE's record. I decided to see if I could break it, and
I passed it late Saturday night/Sunday morning.

I had high hopes for Sunday, but the bands were really terrible, so there was a
lot of cycling CQs and tuning the bands for new stations.

It never occurred to me (until I looked up the records) that I might be on a
record pace... and I suspect that with the conditions as they were, a west
coast station that was further south might have been able to run a few hundred
ten meter Q's for double points on Friday and Saturday... so I wouldn't be at
all surprised of several stations broke the record.

Thanks to all the stations that worked me, especially the two-, three- and
four-band contacts... thanks to many of the JA stations and their brief
language lessons (I know most of my Japanese numbers now), and thanks again to
Rich, KL7RA for the use of the station, and his many years of work and
dedication that allows his team to sit down and play radio for the weekend. He
does a lot of work to keep it going, and there's a reason he has grey hair.

Station rundown:

SO2R operating position, Icom 781 and Alpha amps. Win-test logging software.

10 meters - stack 5/5/5
15 meters - stack 4/4/4
20 meters - selectable monobanders
40 meters - 3 element yagi