[3830] TnQP N2WN SO MobileCW QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Sep 3 09:33:15 EDT 2012

                    Tennessee QSO Party

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: SO MobileCW QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   40:  104                    28
   20:   16                     9
-----------------------------------
Total:  120     0       0      37  Total Score = 16,420

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Bonus Station Summary
Callsign(s) : K4TCG, K4TCG/M
       QSOs : 1
Bonus Points : 3100

Put a couple counties on that were unaccounted for, the route was HAWK, HANC,
CLAI, UNIO, KNOX and GRAI. Conditions seemed a bit punk and depending on which
weather report you wanted to buy into it was to be an OK day or horrible. Turns
out it was ummm "variable". More later on the Wx.

Checked out 10 and 15 from our perch on the Hawkins side of the line atop rt
131, high but power lines and other obstructions, but it seemed like the best
spot. Worked KV8Q, who missed us (my wife Rita tagged along) in GRAI, before
the start and W4SK, both gave good signal reports, so I was upbeat. The contest
started and it seemed like folks had a tough time hearing me, go figure!

40 was the only band where I could get any action going. 20 was disappointing.

K8MFO was the only station who worked me in all the counties. K4BAI missed
KNOX. The best ears on the TN mobile side goes to N5WR, who pulled me through
every time I called in (one time was a bit of a fight getting the county
exchanged). I had a hard time with most of the TN guys and SSB was a total
bust. Considering the conditions, I guess it was to be expected.

OK, the weather was all over the place from breezy Autumn-like to gnarly
sweltering July to torrential downpour. HAWK/HANC was breezy and comfortable.
CLAI started out cool and breezy then rapidly went to uber windy and we watched
the sheet of rain rolling west until we were in the middle of it. The truck
bounced around in the wind for a bit, 'twas interesting. The rest of the
counties were just sweltering. The spot where I stop in Union has a lot of high
tension lines close by and you could tell there was a lot of static in the air
by the frequent sporadic clicking of the pole suppressors.

The K3 takes up too much room and is hard to access easily, but then again a
Toyota Tacoma is not the optimum mobile contesting platform either.

Missed a lot of the "regulars" but was happy to see some new calls end up in
the log.

As always, thanks for the QSOs and the patience.

72,
Julius
n2wn