[3830] All Asian SSB KE3X(@N3HBX) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Sep 3 11:28:36 EDT 2012

                    All Asian DX Contest, SSB

Call: KE3X
Operator(s): KE3X
Station: N3HBX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Poolesville, MD

   80:    0     0
   15:  353   126
   10:    4     4
-------------------
Total:  519   229  Total Score = 119,767

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to John Evans, N3HBX for making The Farm in Poolesville available to me
this weekend!   What a beautifully engineered station.  This was the 4th time I
have operated from there, but only the first time I felt 100% comfortable with
all the hardware and antenna switching.   The only glitch was I could not get
the internet to work, so ironically in one of the few contests that allows
spotting assistance for SOAB entries, I had none.   Hopefully we fix this
before WAE Phone next weekend.

Awesome opening on 15-meters Friday night where over 200 JA's got in the log,
and the rate meter was between 100-150 at times.  Many stations were just above
the noise level, but conditions were very quiet, so no problems copying
exchanges.   Also the 40-Meter opening was decent on Saturday morning.   20M
was average over the pole.   I QRT'd early at 9AM local time Sunday to drive
down to WV to The Greenbrier to join the family on vacation.  Seems that was
the right move, reading the 3830 postings, as many noted propagation Sunday was
disappointing.

Thanks to the many PVRC'ers and other friends for propagation advice in the
weeks ahead of this contest.   I have never been an expert on Asia propagation
so all the suggestions were most welcome.   I stuck to the 'master band plan'
except for going to sleep at 11PM Saturday since I was running out of gas a
bit.  But it seems I did not miss any major openings which was my objective.

In particular, thanks to Fred Laun, K3ZO for sharing his encyclopedia knowledge
of Asian openings.   I feel like I just went back for a PhD after attending
Fred's class!

Thanks to all for the Q's and CU in the next contest!

Ken KE3X