[3830] CQ WW RTTY W5DQ SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Sep 30 20:52:10 EDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: W5DQ
Operator(s): W5DQ
Station: W5DQ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ridgecrest CA

   80:   20    26       16       3     4
   40:   75   122       32      13    10
   20:  116   240       34      42    21
   15:  138   319       33      63    26
   10:  138   319       30      38    17
Total:  530  1115      145     159    78  Total Score = 425,930

First time I ran hard in the RTTY contest. I decided to see how well I could do
with lots of time in the chair. I hit it hard for 30 hours and this year is a
personal best. I only called CQ and ran for the last 45 minutes or so as my amp
isn't built to take that much punishment. Time to upgrade from the little
AL-811. It worked the whole contest in S&P at full bore with no issues.

Friday evening bands were in great shape and even 40 and 80 on my vertical were
doing well. Saturday was a slow start as I was up early expecting the Europeans
to be coming thru early but not much broke loose until mid morning. I could
have gotten a couple hours more sleep, hihi. 20M and higher died around 0330 or
so and 40 and 80M just weren't happening. Everything I heard I either had worked
on Friday evening or they could not hear me. Sunday was a late start for me but
10M started hard and stayed until the end with a short lull midday. I could
have gotten a few more Q's and points but some of my newly hatched crop of
DX'ers (recent General upgrades) from our club came over to see what contesting
and RTTY was all about. I lost about 45 minutes or so talking and explaining to
them and only logged about 5 Q's in that time.

Great fun as always and looking forward to the next one already. Plan on having
a better amp by then!