[3830] CQ WW RTTY K4TD SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Sep 30 21:13:10 EDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K4TD
Operator(s): K4TD
Station: K4TD

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: AL

   80:   16    22       13       3     4
   40:  153   318       32      51    17
   20:  253   660       31      73    27
   15:  452  1121       34      79    29
   10:  553  1554       23      80    30
Total: 1427  3675      133     286   107  Total Score = 1,933,050

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

First, thanks for all the QSO's...  I'd like to say it was fun, but I'd be lying
if I did.  This started out for me as just an effort to pick up some countries
on RTTY and get them confirmed on LoTW...  Slowly I started to pay more
attention to my score, and thinking of improving it a little...  Once that
started, I began to set minor goals and before I realized it, I was actually
working the contest... (I didn't even call my first CQ until 21 hours into the
event)...  Guess I slow-walked myself into this one.  It felt a lot like I
poked myself in the eye with a sharp stick in slow motion...

I enjoyed the 10 meter opening very much.  I had a delightful run into JA on
SAT evening that lasted a couple of hours.  I'm just going to keep repeating my
perpetual statement that the JA's are excellent operators.  It is such a
pleasure to work a JA pileup.  The rate is high WITHOUT all the chaos...

<SOAPBOX>
I won't go into any long tirade, but I think the USA RTTY publications need to
make a concerted effort to educate our general RTTY public on contest protocol
and timing.  The worst offenses I witnessed in this thing were committed by US
operators.  One universal thing that did drive me nuts happened when I was
running guys in weak signal conditions...  My software is trying hard to pull
the other guy's call sign out of the noise, and almost without exception the
other guy begins his repeat with MY call sign.  Ole man, just in case you
doesn't realize it:  I ALREADY KNOW WHO I AM!!! I need to know WHO YOU ARE...
This happened OVER AND OVER AND OVER...  No telling how much time was wasted
with this nonsense.
</SOAPBOX>

Not so sure that I'll do this again next year.  Guess it will depend on how
much RTTY DX I can pack in my log between now and then...

73,

Rick
K4TD