[3830] CQ WW RTTY AA4LR SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Sep 30 23:22:30 EDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: GA

   80:   12   13       8       2     2
   40:   20   37      10      10     7
   20:   57  123      14      27    14
   15:   72  145      17      28    18
   10:   33   79       7      17    14
Total:  194  397      56      84    55  Total Score = 77,415

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
80/40m trap dipole at 10m high
Cushcraft R7000 at 3m high

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 w/ KAT100 tuner

Comments:

So nice to have the Elecraft K2/100 back on the air. I discovered a problem
back in July that took me a while to diagnose. Turned out the 1N5711 schottky
diodes D16 and D17 on the KPA100 board had gone slightly bad without failing
open or shorted. Compounding this was the failure of the U6 - EL5146C on the
same board which kept the KPA100 microprocessor from responding.

This was just a part-time S & P effort for me. I couldn't get on until late
Saturday afternoon, and I was exhausted from all the honey-dos from earlier in
the day. I did manage to get on for most of Sunday afternoon until the end of
the contest.

Bands sounded great! 10m was wide open both afternoons, with europeans heard
very strongly. At one point on 15m, I felt so loud I even tried a few CQs.
There were still times when some stations couldn't hear me at all, and CQed in
my face. RTTY contests tend to be the toughest in this regard.

R7000 seemed to to a respectable job. It was a toss-up on received signal
strength between the two antennas for most contacts. Many of the DX contacts
preferred the vertical.

One bright note on the antenna department. I managed to fix the Mark III
antenna launcher and got the dipole up off the ground. Average height is now
about 10m up. It's possible I could go a bit higher, but not with the 3/4 oz
weights I'm using. I'll need something heavier to drag enough line up. Got at
least two more antenna projects planned for this fall: an 80/160m inverted L
and an improved trap dipole for 80/40/30/20m.