[3830] TxQP W5MJ Multi-Op Mobile LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Sep 30 23:47:45 EDT 2012

                    Texas QSO Party

Call: W5MJ
Operator(s): W5MJ, K5PI
Station: W5MJ

Class: Multi-Op Mobile LP
QTH: TX

  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  1335    62      0  Mults = 111  Total Score = 486,319

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I've always wanted to go mobiling in TQP, but my schedule has never worked out.
Thanks to W5MJ for providing the great setup -- a TS-480HX and Tarheel antenna.
We had a few techical issues -- the automatic controller for the Tarheel wasn't
working so we set it for 40 CW and put a 20M hamstick on the hood (no metal
roof on the Jeep).  We had RFI that prevented the laptop from talking to the
rig, and periodially interrupted the GPS interface, but we had a great time
nonetheless.  We were delayed an hour at the start, but got in the groove once
we were on the road.

Madison and I are both partial to CW, but we thought SSB deserved some
significant attention.  Maybe we didn't go there enough to establish a
presence, but we could never get the runs going like we could on CW.  And we
had some huge CW pileups, especially when we hit Archer county Saturday
afternoon.  Wow!

Thanks to all the "return customers", and very special thanks to NO5W for
helping me plan a route and load it into his great CQ/X software.

Robert K5PI