[3830] WAE CW K5TR(N5AW) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 12 11:16:57 EDT 2013

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: K5TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TX

   80:   11           8
   40:  173          37
   20:  565          47
   15:  792          47
   10:    0           0
-------------------------
Total: 1541  1539   331  Total Score = 1,019,480

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to George, K5TR, this was the first time I’ve operated as a single op
from someone else’s station in many years. For someone who has never owned an
amplifier, operating high power was an interesting experience. It was also the
first time I’ve used packet in a serious contest entry. With so much new this
was a good contest to learn with. George has a lot of antennas but the switching
is automated and you just point them north east and leave them there for the
weekend. Packet finds most of your needed multipliers so you mostly just run
all weekend. Quite a change from low power with no packet that I’m used to.

The downsideS of this contest are the summer static here in Texas and the
relatively short window for 80 and 40 meters to Europe.  On the other hand 20
is open almost all night and 15 is open until late afternoon. Unfortunately
this year no Europeans were even heard on 10 (last year I worked 25 from my
home station).  Looking at the posted scores my totals were very competitive on
15 meters (second only to AA3B in the US) but went down for each lower band. 80
meters was a real struggle �" worked every European I heard but I’m
afraid many of the exchanges are wrong �" almost impossible to copy those
numbers through the static crashes.

One thing I noticed with high power is you get a lot of very weak stations
calling. That is true for low power too but even more so with high power. With
static crashes even on 20 and an S2 line noise on 15 they were very tough to
copy. It took multiple repeats to get many of them in the log and I’m sure
there are lots of busted calls and even more incorrect exchanges. My apologies
to those I had to give up on and to others I could tell were in there but had
no chance of copying. With low power I’ve been on the other end many times
and know how frustrating it is.

In some ways it was gratifying to find that even with high power there are
times when, although you are hearing Europeans well, it is difficult to get
through the East coast stations. That was especially true on 20 meters in the
late afternoon and 40 in the early evening.

Chasing packet spots was also a new experience for me. I was surprised at how
many of them I could not hear. It was also an eye opener at how many were
incorrect. I was spotted several times as TK5TR. I suspect that many of the
errors were from skimmers and after a while you began to be able to recognize
many of the bad ones. I’ve never been a fan of packet and this experience did
not make me one. I’ll have to admit it was neat as you tuned across the band
late in the contest and the packet spotted call signs would pop up on the
screen (mostly dupes). I still get satisfaction from finding the new ones
myself though.

All in all it was an interesting and fun experience. Thank you K5TR for making
your fine station available and taking the time to get me going! �" Marv
N5AW

Station:
http://www.k5tr.net/

2x Elecraft K3 radios (tnx k5ot)
2x AL-1500 amps

80 - Half wave sloping dipole - sloped NE from 120'.
- NE, NW, SE, SW beverages ~500' long

40 - 4 element yagi at 120'
- NE, NW, SE, SW beverages ~500' long

20 - 6 element yagi at 80' fixed NE

15 - 6 element yagi at 70'
- 6 element yagi at 35' fixed NE

                             2013 DARC-WAEDC-CW K5TR
                            QSOs MADE IN EACH COUNTRY

     Country               Prefix   160   80   40   20   15   10  Total
Percent
     -------               ------  ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----  -----
-------
   1 Montenegro              4O       -    -    -    1    -    -      1
0.06
   2 ITU HQ                  4U1I     -    -    -    -    1    -      1
0.06
   3 Croatia                 9A       -    1    1    5   11    -     18
1.14
   4 Portugal                CT       -    -    1    1    2    -      4
0.25
   5 Fed. Rep. of Germany    DL       -    3   72  181  286    -    542
34.22
   6 Bosnia-Herzegovina      E7       -    -    -    4    3    -      7
0.44
   7 Spain                   EA       -    1    2    9   16    -     28
1.77
   8 Balearic Islands        EA6      -    -    -    -    1    -      1
0.06
   9 Ireland                 EI       -    1    1    3    2    -      7
0.44
  10 Estonia                 ES       -    -    2    1    1    -      4
0.25
  11 Belarus                 EU       -    -    2    3    6    -     11
0.69
  12 France                  F        -    -    4   16   18    -     38
2.40
  13 England                 G        -    -    9   26   40    -     75
4.73
  14 Isle of Man             GD       -    1    1    2    1    -      5
0.32
  15 Northern Ireland        GI       -    -    1    2    2    -      5
0.32
  16 Scotland                GM       -    -    -    6    7    -     13
0.82
  17 Wales                   GW       -    -    -    2    4    -      6
0.38
  18 Hungary                 HA       -    2    7   17   17    -     43
2.71
  19 Switzerland             HB       -    -    2    5   10    -     17
1.07
  20 Liechtenstein           HB0      -    -    1    1    1    -      3
0.19
  21 Italy                   I        -    1    4   22   36    -     63
3.98
  22 Sardinia                IS       -    -    -    2    2    -      4
0.25
  23 Sicily                  *IT9     -    -    -    2    1    -      3
0.19
  24 Svalbard                JW       -    -    -    1    1    -      2
0.13
  25 Norway                  LA       -    -    2    2    2    -      6
0.38
  26 Luxembourg              LX       -    -    2    1    1    -      4
0.25
  27 Lithuania               LY       -    -    1   10   16    -     27
1.70
  28 Bulgaria                LZ       -    -    3   13   11    -     27
1.70
  29 Austria                 OE       -    -    3    4   11    -     18
1.14
  30 Finland                 OH       -    -    1   14   13    -     28
1.77
  31 Aland Islands           OH0      -    -    1    1    1    -      3
0.19
  32 Czech Republic          OK       -    -    5   30   31    -     66
4.17
  33 Slovak Republic         OM       -    -    2    4   13    -     19
1.20
  34 Belgium                 ON       -    -    4   12   19    -     35
2.21
  35 Greenland               OX       -    -    -    1    -    -      1
0.06
  36 Denmark                 OZ       -    -    3    7   10    -     20
1.26
  37 Netherlands             PA       -    -    6   18   34    -     58
3.66
  38 Slovenia                S5       -    -    5    9   14    -     28
1.77
  39 Sweden                  SM       -    -    2   13   19    -     34
2.15
  40 Poland                  SP       -    1    8   24   32    -     65
4.10
  41 Greece                  SV       -    -    1    3    4    -      8
0.51
  42 Iceland                 TF       -    -    1    2    2    -      5
0.32
  43 Corsica                 TK       -    -    -    1    -    -      1
0.06
  44 European Russia         UA       -    -    6   50   39    -     95
6.00
  45 Kaliningrad             UA2      -    -    1    2    3    -      6
0.38
  46 Asiatic Russia          UA9      -    -    -    1    -    -      1
0.06
  47 Ukraine                 UR       -    -    4   21   37    -     62
3.91
  48 Latvia                  YL       -    -    -    3    7    -     10
0.63
  49 Romania                 YO       -    -    4   12   11    -     27
1.70
  50 Serbia                  YU       -    -    4    8   11    -     23
1.45
  51 Macedonia               Z3       -    -    -    4    2    -      6    0.38