[3830] WAE CW DL1IAO(@DL0WW) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Aug 15 20:29:54 EDT 2013

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: DL1IAO
Operator(s): DL1IAO
Station: DL0WW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: JN49FO

   80:   57    65    34
   40:  187   388    71
   20:  446  1231    89
   15:  531  1426    88
   10:   40    20    29
-------------------------
Total: 1261  3130   761  Total Score = 3,341,551

2x IC756Pro3(INRAD) + Alpha87A
TopTen decoders, WX0B bandpass filters, Idiom Press CMOS4's & homebrew
2R-switching, 4O3A LOCK X

WT v3.27.1 on 3x HP Omnibook XE3

(80) Bobtail (NW/SE), Delta Loop, DP @10m
(40) 3el M2 Yagi @20m (linear-loaded), DP @10m
(20) 5el M2 Yagi @27m
(15) 5el Yagi @25m
(10) 6el Yagi @24m (sharing tower with 40m)

Off-Times:
Sat 00:00-01:14 -> 01:14
Sat 08:09-13:10 -> 05:01
Sun 07:34-11:17 -> 03:43
Sun 12:11-14:16 -> 02:05

CONDX were extraordinary for a mid-August weekend and I'm more than happy with
my score under the circumstances. It was an exhausting weekend with almost no
rest due to a bunch of repair issues at the station which I had to do
on-the-fly.

Things started with the club's Alpha87A not switching on and HF getting into
the club's 2R antenna switch a few minutes before 00z. Missing the beginning
definitely cost a few QSOs and a bit of my motivation. I was able to solve a CW
keying issue at the left station while logging QTCs on the right. When I
intended to take my off time in the morning we had a water ingress into the
shack while my club fellows were cleaning the back porch of the house. When I
restarted my 3rd notebook quit working, probably due to a little bit of water
inside.

During the second night I lost the remote control of the 80m Bobtail and had to
open the feedpoint box outside in the dark to manually move resonance to CW.
Shortly after I had fallen into bed on Sunday morning the local fellows showed
up for their meeting and I could not sleep again. When 10m opened to NA, the
10/40m rotor got stuck at 210deg. Luckily it released again after a while, so I
was able to work a few of the weak W/VE multipliers. I missed K5ZD, but about
30min later Randy was kind enough to try again with me and we completed the
QSO, TNX!

As WAEDC was my first opportunity to do some CW after quite a while I really
enjoyed working again with some long-time friends, and at one point fun took
over and I started to chat a bit here and there after completing the QSO or
QTCs.

Also see N3BB's comment:
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/3830/2013-August/285553.html
It was nice to meet you again, OM!

When the contest was over I had almost done 48h straight with very little rest
and there were quite a few QTC sessions which I was not able to complete
without several requests due to sleep deprivation. I usually managed to get the
time and callsign, but I often failed with the QSO NR and even fell asleep a few
times when QTCs were sent all too slow. Sorry!

I'm looking forward to see the scores of RW1A, ES5RR and others. Thanks for the
nice competition & CU next time!

73,

Stefan
DL1IAO at contesting.com