[3830] NAQP SSB W5WZ Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 18 15:15:12 EDT 2013

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: W5WZ
Operator(s): W5WZ
Station: W5WZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA

   15:   62     7
Total:  406    75  Total Score = 30,450

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Team: LCC Team #1

Comments:

I've not been as contest active lately as I might like.  About 10am I phoned
K5EER to tell him to register me on a team because I was going to beat him
today.  He said that he didn't really plan to play seriously in this one.  His
soapbox comments for this contest confirm that all aspects of my account are
true!

While mowing the yard, my son ran over some beverage control wires earlier in
the week, rendering the entire beverage antenna field useless.

A visit by Mr. Murphy at 3 minutes before contest start resulted in me not
being able to direct microphone audio to the left radio, so I wound up working
as an SO1R for the duration of my participation.

At the start of the contest, 20m was strange.  Not as much activity as I would
expect for a mid-day domestic contest.  A quick jump over to 15m and it was
even worse - that is even less activity heard.  Checking 10m, it seemed that I
better stick with 20m.

At 1915 UTC, W5LA answered my CQ, and asked if I minded if he came over to
watch me play.  Sure!  So in about half an hour, my ham radio elmer was in the
shack listening to the contest on a 2nd set of headphones.  The rate was
slowing, and we began doing more talking to each other than I was doing
contesting.  I thoroughly enjoyed Jim's visit, so when he left at 2146 I took a
break to go in the house and check on the kids.

The kids were engaged in their own activities, so after a 73 minute break I
returned to the shack until 0121.

So, in summary:
I worked a partial contest.
I made 406 QSOs.
I did it in 6:08 (368 minutes)
In a ratio of QSOs/time worked, I did beat K5ER (that's really the most
important goal here!)

Therefore, it appears that all my goals were achieved!

Thanks to all for the QSOs!