[3830] NAQP SSB NX5M M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 18 17:10:26 EDT 2013

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M KU5B N5XJ NW7DX
Station: NX5M

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TX

   10:    3     3
-------------------
Total: 2097   234  Total Score = 490,698

Club:

Team:

Comments:

About ready to just stop connecting 10m antennas if this is the way that band is
going to treat us!
As everyone knows, 15m was pitiful, but we stayed with it and after several
hours of frustration it was much improved.  Had some trouble with receive on
15m as there were times when crackling noise was present and then receive would
go away.  Very difficult to do anything with it since the contest had already
started so it too, along with miserable conditions, was something we just had
to deal with.  Must be a faulty relay or diode in the box so will have to start
looking into this.
After we went to 40 it was discovered that single antennas were dead.  Any
combination of pairs was fine.  Knew it had to be a master relay failure or a
jumper on the 50 ohm side of the box but really nothing could be done about it
under the circumstances.  This issue was resolved today but really had no major
impact on our operation.
80 and 160 were the quietest we have ever heard for the summer NAQP.  This was
a pleasant surprise.  We were prepared, based on past history, for a normal
battle with QRN.
Certainly happy that this year we did not have to deal with any thunderstorms.
Last August we had to shut down for the last 2.5 hours of the contest.  We were
only on 40 for half the time we would have been and only managed 5 minutes on
80m before we had to bail.
Whoever the person was that had recorded my CQ message and was playing in back
in my face on 80m.....just what are you trying to prove?  Do you have ID10T
syndrome?  Did you do this on other frequencies besides the one I was using?
What do you have to gain by doing this?  Is it because you can hide behind your
mike and know that I will never find you?  I have but one thing for you to
consider......look in the mirror and ask yourself if you really like what you
see.  I think those who conduct themselves properly would agree with me.
Ben, NW7DX joined us for his first NAQP ever.  It was good to have him on the
team.  N5XJ arrived a few hours after the start due to his work schedule.  But
Mike started running out of gas about 0400z just like the energizer bunny would
when his batteries get drained.  I commend him for hanging in as long as he did
since he had been up since 2am. KU5B arrived just about the time the contest
started so he sat back and gathered himself a bit, turning his music focus of
the morning into contest focus.
IF we end up winning this one and having the top score in all three of the
summer NAQP's (RTTY as KU5B at NX5M and NX5M in both CW and SSB)this is something
that I thought was not possible.  Great operators do make a difference!
Thanks to all those who participate.  Without you it would be a drag!