[3830] NAQP SSB K4XS Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 19 08:41:32 EDT 2013

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K4XS
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: K4XS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FL

   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total: 1377   178  Total Score = 245,106

Club: Florida Contest Group

Team:

Comments:

Mother nature controlled my off times.  Summer is a tough time in FL to do a
serious contest.  Thunderstorm chances are usually at 40-50%.  Looking the
radar before the contest showed storms all over the state and some heading my
way.  Out of the box on 15 and 20 for almost the first two hours until I heard
the telltale sounds of a charge building up on the antennas.  Time to go QRT. A
thunderstorm passed nearby and after it cleared I got back on after about 50
minutes.  I could see more comingon the radar, but decided to operate until
forced off again.  Around 2145 I could storms were approaching and could hear
the thunder booms.  QRT again.  This times we had lightning all around and the
QRT was over an hour.

It started to clear and I finally got back on around 2300 with just enough time
left to do a full effort.  Luckily that was the last of the nearby storms and I
did a non-stop until the end at 0600.

The nearby storms were producing 20 over 9 crashes the entire time and my
apologies to those who had to repeat a number of times especially on 40, 80 and
160.

This one was work!  Signals were pretty pretty weak and with a ton of QSB and
QRN.