[3830] KsQP W0O(W0ZQ) Mobile SO CW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Aug 27 13:14:30 EDT 2013

                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: W0O
Operator(s): W0ZQ
Station: W0O

Class: Mobile SO CW LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:     5    0       0
   40:   294    0       0
   20:   849    0       0
   15:     0    0       0
   10:     0    0       0
    6:     0    0       0
    2:     0    0       0
----------------------------
Total:  1139    0       0  Mults = 51  Total Score = 174,267

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

The drive down from Mpls to Liberty (MO) on Friday afternoon was wonderfully
uneventful.  I had the opportunity to enjoy an ice cream bar or two along the
way.   It seems Iowa into northern MO has seen good rain as the countryside was
green for this time of year.   Saturday morning, just ahead of the contest, I
drove through Kansas City to get to my starting point where DOU/JOH/MIA/FRA all
come together.   While driving, I tuned up my FT897 with its LDG tuner on 20m
...... hmmm, the tuner took a few extra seconds to tune, that was different.
I listened on 20m and heard not one signal.  Wow, did we have a flare?  Boy,
that would not be good.  I then punched in WWV on 10 MHz to get a time sync and
no WWV.   Hmmmm.   So driving along I thought through the problem and suddenly
remembered that when I left the hotel in Liberty I had forgotten to actually
connect the coax to the antenna !  Doh.   Well, that explains no signals.  What
is interesting is that the LDG tuner loaded up about 15' of RG214 to a 1:1 swr
on 20m.   I guess those tuners can indeed tune up just about anything.
Arriving at DOU/JOH/MIA/FRA I connected the antenna and all was good after
that.

On Saturday I operated from 13 different counties on both 20 and 40m.   I did
try 15m a few times with no takers.   While looking at the map while I was
driving I saw that I could make a minor detour from my planned route and pick
up AND county ..... AND was not on the original plan..  As a solo operator in
charge of strategy, tactics, operations, navigation, and HR, these state QSO
parties are part contest, part road rally, and part endurance contests ....
lots of fun.   I think the highest temperature that I saw on my car thermometer
was 95, but there was a good wind out of the south that help a lot so I have no
complaints about the weather ..... it was a great day to be out and about in
the Flint Hills of KS playing radio.

The contest period on Sunday is half as long as Saturday and with the other QSO
parties having ended the rates really pick up compared to Saturday.  For me
Saturday is more of a marathon while Sunday is more of a sprint.   I stayed
over night in Junction City and started out the contest Sunday morning in RIL
with the plan to run nine more counties in Sunday's 6 hour time period.  I had
proportioned my Sunday operating time to include 40m at the start (9:00 am
local) and from the next two counties after that, but then to focus solely on
20m for the last six stops which were during the afternoon hours when 20m was
hot and 40m more limited.  My apologies to those who I missed on 40m, but rates
where phenomenal on 20m during this time as you can see in the tabulation below.
 Each of those stops was about 20 minutes or so, so rates were in the 170 to 210
per hour range.

I ended the contest at the BRO/ATC/DON county line area where it was a 7 hour
drive back to Mpls and home.   Once again the drive back was wonderfully
uneventful with a celebratory ice cream bar (or two).    My goal this year was
to beat my score from last year and make 1,000 Q's.  Both goals were achieve
and I had lots of fun to boot.   Thanks to every one that I worked and thanks
for your patience with me in some of those pile-ups.   There were a few times
that I heard some very weak CW signals that I just could not pull out, thanks
for trying and we will do it next time.    DX work include DK2OY, DL3IAC,
DL5ME, G0DBE, I1EIS, MD0CCE, NP2X, OK1CF, OK2EC, OM2VL, ON4AAC, PA3ARM, RX3AGD,
RZ0AF, S57KW, SP5SA, and V31MA.

A tip of the hat to Bob, W0BH, for his work in pulling this fun event together
and to all the other KS stations, especially all the other mobiles.

73, Jon
W0O/W0ZQ/m

  Day         County    20m     40m    80m    Total
Saturday	DOU	39	15	0	54
Saturday	JOH	25	14	0	39
Saturday	MIA	35	14	0	49
Saturday	FRA	30	19	0	49