[3830] KsQP N0K(K0HNC) Mobile SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Aug 28 22:49:47 EDT 2013

                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: N0K
Operator(s): K0HNC
Station: N0K

Class: Mobile SO Mixed LP
QTH: 20 counties

   80:
   40:  212      4
   20:  536    228
   15:    2      4
----------------------------
Total:  750    236      0  Mults = 47  Total Score = 128,034

I got to all the counties that I scheduled and put on QRZ, so felt good about
that.  Also was happy to provide N6MU some needed counties for his 3rd
consecutive sweep.  Amazing accomplishment and hearty congratulations to John.

I planned to make the best use of the 2 hours before the Ohio QP started by
finding two county line locations close together and spending an hour at each.
What I didn't plan on was the local farmers driving by to see what I was doing,
so to stay on good terms with them, I took valuable operating time to explain
about the QSO party and visit about the very dry weather in NW Ks and how
their
crops were doing.  This happened at both stops.

It was hot (mid 90s) very windy in west KS both days.  On the way back from one
stop, I passed a cattle hauler semi that had been blown off the road into the
ditch where he hit an embankment. Fortunately, he was empty.

Biggest problem at the county line stops was the flies. Trying to send CW with
flies biting your arms and legs is a challenge!  I ended up rubbing on a
liberal amount of insect repellent to keep them away.
Closing the windows and running the AC would have been a cumulative 10 or 11
hours of idling with the AC on, so I chose to fight the flies.

The only "nice" motel near the area where I needed to spend Sat night
was already booked full a month ahead of time, so I had to settle for a
"low cost" motel in Hugoton, KS.  When I checked in and went in the
room, I was greeted by...more flies!  I guess they had the door open during the
day for cleaning
and it filled with flies.  I spent an hour with a folded wash cloth fly swatter
getting rid of them so I could eat my pizza in peace.
If that wasn't enough, when checked my credit card statement Wed morning, I
found that I had been charged twice for the room. After some phone calls, the
guy said he mistakenly used my card number instead of the one for person
renting the room the next night, and that he will send a refund check.  We will
see.

Band conditions seemed good to the states and Canada, but not much from Europe
as in prior years.  Worked OM2VL, whose signal was as strong as stateside
stations, several times and one DL.

I ran an APRS cell phone app that seemed to work the whole way, so I hope some
made use of it.

Thanks to everyone for all the contacts, and see you next year.

73
Charles N0K/K0HNC