[3830] 10RTTY VE9AA Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 8 18:17:07 EST 2013

                    Ten-Meter RTTY Contest

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: nb

Total:  QSOs = 272  State/Prov = 35  Countries = 39  Total Score = 20,128

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Don, AA5AU for this contest.  I love 10m, especially when it plays
nice. The bonus is that this is the only band where I have a directional gain
antenna.
By that I mean a small yagi @ 24', whereas everything else here is a low wire
or HF9V vertical.(which I did make some Q's on.)
 Unfortunately, condx were not all that great up here and activity seemed
down.
The EA8's were loud loud loud for hours, workable just after sunrise, but
mainland EU was mostly quite weak except for perhaps a 45 minute window
during my mid morning local time.  Participation dropped way off once sunset
hit EU.  Was all of USA sleeping due to being up all night on 160m?

For what seemed like nearly 1/2 the stations that called me when I was running,
I have this to say:
I KNOW MY OWN CALL ! ! !  (It was actually likely closer to only 25%-30%, but
it was annoying to the Nth degree to see my call come across perfectly
over and over and then QRM, QRN, QSB or other callers take out the callers
callsign.

An example:
(me)  CQ TEN RTTY VE9AA VE9AA CQ
(them) VE9AA de DL@#X123 PSE K BK
or
(them) VE9AA VE9AA de PA0!E!#$ HW? PSE K

Another annoyance was I saw
(them) VE9AA de 9A2WWW 9A2WWW 9A2WWW 9A2WWW 9A2WWW K K K
Geez, do you think you could send your call a few more times? (the 9a2www cl is
ficticious, I made it up-sri if u exist)

I saw plenty of QSL QSL RRR 73 RGR MMMMM  .. . . . . .RGR GL DE TU AR VA BK BK
PSE COPY OM etc..(OK, Hey, whatever, I get that....)
 I had one Italian station call me and send a report before I even acknowledged
him.
I am a newbie RTTY op and even I know this is poor practice.

The North Americans seems to have this down to a science.
(me) CQ TEN RTTY VE9AA VE9AA CQ
(them) WD5K WD5K
(me) WD5K 599 NB NB WD5K
(them) TU 599 TX TX (or variations thereof)
(me) WD5K TU VE9AA CQ (or sometimes, QRZ?)

What's so hard about that?

Not to say I am perfect, or didn't toss out a couple extra "hellos"
during the contest, or make mistakes.  I am not perfect.
I made and make mistakes.
But by gosh,  most folks on SSB or CW know not to call the DX by their callsign
a couple times, then their callsign. What gives?
I am sorry. I just can't seem to let that go.  This is so annoying I propose we
start putting protocols in the rules of RTTY contests.  Seriously.
That, and sending your call 3, 5 or even yes, 10 times (one EU called me 10
times with his call)

I am not mad (I know emotions don't come across very well in text.  But I am
scratching my head wondering what happened with protocols ??!!)

Staggering down off my rikety ol' soapbox, ;-)

Good: ZM90DX & VK4UC were definately my best DX and have elephant ears.
Thanks dude !
Bad: I never could get VA7ST to hear me...<SIGH>.granted, Bud was only
519, but solid print for a cpl hours.
Bad(#2): Only being able to run 100w !
Ugly: Guys who thought I never knew my own callsign.

I hope condx are better for ARRL-10

Mike VE9AA IC7410, N1MM, ~80w, LJ-105ca (5el) @ 24' and/or HF9V @ 9'