[3830] ARRL 160 K9MMS Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 9 01:43:00 EST 2013

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9MMS
Operator(s): K9MMS
Station: K9MMS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 855  Sections = 78  Countries = 9  Total Score = 151,119

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

IC-756PRO3 at 100 watts; TX: Inverted L (completely redone in October); RX:
Several short RX antennas.
(K3 still on the bench for replacement of header pins)

Worked all 50 states �" 48 on Friday night.  NV and ND called in during a
CQ run on Saturday night.
Worked KL7RA, KH6/KU1CW, KH6LC, and KH6AT.  KH6AT called during one of my CQ
runs.
Missed 5 sections:  PR, LAX, SJV, NL, and NT.  Did not hear many CA stations
�" even in extended S&P mode.

Not much DX heard.  Very few EU and Caribbean.  Both mornings, I operated
during my sunrise (pre, during, and post grayline), and the only DX heard was
KH6LC (worked before).  A few days prior to the contest, I had worked both JA
and HL on two different mornings, but no Asia stations heard this weekend.

DX worked:  CE1/K7CA (for many years a great signal and good “ears” on top
band), C6AKQ (loud most of the contest), XE2S (also loud), TM6M, ZF2AH, CS2C,
PJ2T, S59A, and FM5CD.  In spite of many calls, I could never get DR1D and
OM2VL to copy my signals.  DR1D was weak and under a loud US CQ machine
adjacent to the DX window.  I usually hear PJ2T much of the time when tuning
during 160 meter contests, but this weekend, the only time heard was when PJ2T
called during one on my CQ runs, and the signal was very strong.

This was close to, if not, my personal best in this event.  I should have
easily made over 1k QSOs, but I spent too much time tuning for DX stations, and
I missed about 6 hours of prime, high rate times in the late afternoon / early
evening hours.  That should have been worth 360 or more QSOs.  On both days, I
did not start until about 1930 CST / 0130Z.  (I spent too much time working on
a new receiving antenna to add to the mix.  I completed the assembly and
installation after 1800 CST on Saturday night �" in the dark with the
temperature around 20 F.  It worked very well and I was pleasantly surprised.)
The first 3 hours operated on Friday had great rates.  All three hours were over
100 per hour with rate meter peaks nearing 200 at times.  Saturday night, the
rate was very slow, and I made fewer Qs than on Friday night.  On the second
night, it was much more difficult to find and hold a CQ run frequency �"
the band was wall to wall CQ machines.

As usual, many US operators either did not read the rules for this contest or
just plain do not care and parked their CQ machines in the DX window (1830
�" 1835) �" running Qs with domestic stations.  This made it
difficult, and in several cases just impossible to effectively copy weak DX
signals in the “window”.  Virtually all refused to move if politely advised
they were over DX in the “window.”  Very inconsiderate practice!  Not all
top band contests specify to observe the DX window and keep it open for DX, but
it is clearly stated in the rules for this event.

Anyway, as usual, thanks for the Qs, Ms, and fun.  Top band contests are always
great fun.
73,
     Gary