[3830] ARRL 160 AA5AM Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 9 11:52:27 EST 2013

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AA5AM
Operator(s): AA5AM
Station: AA5AM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): < 30

Total:  QSOs = 711  Sections = 77  Countries = 8  Total Score = 123,420

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Started Friday morning with a sigh of relief seeing that the Inv-L survived the
1/2 of ice until i tried to knock some of the ice off the feed point and
antenna.
Snap........  Now the antenna is laying in the yard.
Spent late Friday morning and afternoon restringing an Inv-L from the 30 ft
tower.

I guess on the bright side, I started the contest with an ice free antenna.

Note to self.....  Leave the ice covered antennas alone, especially on the day
of a contest.

Participation seemed to be down this year. Not sure if it was due to the poor
band conditions or the snow and ice across the mid section of the country.

Friday night/Saturday morning, I could find many places to slide in low in the
band and setup on a run frequency.  Typically in years past, there is not much
room at all without stepping on someone.

By the end of the first night, I had almost 600 Qs which is outstanding
compared to my past scores. The remaining 120 Qs  I had to work for on the
second night.

Only heard 3 Europeans working just one. I'm sure there were more in there but
found numerous stateside stations setup in the DX window.

Thanks to everyone that worked me. It was fun despite the rough pre-contest
start. Looking forward to next year.

73,

Scott AA5AM