[3830] ARRL 10 K0MD SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 15 19:17:05 EST 2013

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K0MD
Operator(s): K0MD
Station: K0MD

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Minnesota

   CW: 1097   115
  SSB:  489    85
-------------------
Total: 1586   200  Total Score = 1,073,200

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

Conditions were good at K0MD for this contest.

I spent 99.5% of my time running - perhaps 10 QSO's out of my 1586 were S/P. It
paid off.

I enjoyed working Europe both mornings. I could not get on early enough to beat
the EU openings - my stack of C49XR yagi's are great performers on 10 with 14/14
at 100/40 ft.

It was pure pleasure to run EU and hear EU, Afria, SA and the West coast call
simultaneously. Wow! Tom Schiller designs great yagis for HF operation!!

Weather at the QTH was cold and snowy - perfect for 10 meters in the upper
Midwest.

Saturday and Sunday, I followed the terminator and rising Sun from Eu to Asia,
working stations as 10 meters came alive. I wish I could have worked China,
Korea, Taiwan and some of the other Asian nations.

I appreciate all of the calls from friends around MWA, the US and Chile.

I was surprised I did not work CE3CT. I hope he was on!

Observations from this contest:

1. W6 land (California) is overrun with non-W6 calls in December.
2. There are many W6's now living in Nevada.
3. Florida has become the newest NLI, New Jersey section - I think I worked an
equal number of W2's in Florida as W4's.
4. I must have nearly worked WAS this contest - what a treat.
5. Lots of activity from Minnesota - I worked a large number of hams.
6. Lots of activity from Oregon as well - more than I expected.
7. Nebraska, SD and ND were not rare, nor were PEI and NF from Canada.
8.  Minnesota has a pipeline to Africa, for reasons I do not understand.
9. I was surprised to work OH stations at 120-145 degrees with my Yagi - there
were some skewed paths this season!

I was surprised at how many mults found me despite me only running. Amazing. I
even worked my last mult at 2345 prior to the end of the contest.

I owe my wife something for granting me all the time for this contest.

I especially enjoyed having the band close around 0000GMT daily so I could do
other things and sleep well at night!

See you from VP5S in 2014.

Merry Christmas to all and HNY as well for 2014.

Scott, K0MD