[3830] ARRL 10 K1TN SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 15 21:01:31 EST 2013

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K1TN
Operator(s): K1TN
Station: K1TN

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Wisconsin

   CW:  655   125
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  655   125  Total Score = 327,500

I may have lost the contest but the Packers crushed the hated Dallas Cowboys so
all is right with the world. Uh, OK, one point is not exactly crushing, but a
win is a win. (I've only lived in Wisconsin for three years but I am now a
rabid Packers fan.)

I thought conditions were better than in 2012 but not as good as in 2011. But,
my score is higher than in 2011, thanks to more multipliers. I wonder if this
was the second half of the rumored "double peak" of the sunspot
cycle. I think the only multiplier I gave up on (twice) was PZ5RA, who had his
confuser programmed to send his serial number twice.

NA multipliers missed: VT, DC, OK, MO, NE, ND, QC, MB, NWT, NB, YT, NU, LB.

California and Washington topped my list (below). 42 Washington State? Is that
even possible? Signals out of Washington and British Columbia were so strong at
times they would have busted my radio's S-meter, if it had one.

Still using TS590S, KPA500, and my trusty 135-foot doublet. The doublet is a
little higher this season, especially on the ends. I can't attribute better
scores this year to improved operator skill (at 65 it's a little late for
that). I definitely did more CQing (and less hunting) this season and it paid
off despite my puny signal on all bands.

I couldn't believe that my operating time was only 13.5 hours so I
double-checked, and sure enough. I really cut back my time this contest season
(CQ WW, ARRL SS, ARRL160, and ARRL10) but, still, every year it seems like I
get up after a few hours of operating thinking, more and more, "this is
not good for my health."

Despite reducing my fall operating hours, I set a personal record for QSOs for
the year (see farther down). That's because this year I did more time in
contests throughout the year, and introduced myself to a few new ones. I really
enjoyed the SAC, Oceania, AA, WAE, and Worked All Germany. I even made 263 Qs in
the summer CW Sprint, a contest I never really took to. Next year I'm going to
watch the contest calendar for others. For example, I expect the RSGB runs at
least one I'd enjoy. And I hear that the Russian DX Contest is an up-and-comer,
too. I did make 620 Qs this year in the CQ WW SSB, which was, like insane.

I'm posting some statistics here because 3830 is such a fantastic resource for
going back and reliving the agony of one's defeats.

Cheers for now and thanks for all the (mostly) CW QSOs! All my QSOs since 2005
are on LotW.

Jim Cain, K1TN
Northern Wisconsin

K1TN 2013 ARRL 10 Meter Contest QSOs

N America: 351
S America: 24
Europe: 247
Africa: 6
Asia: 15
Oceania: 12

CA  57
WA  42
FL  29
AZ  22
MN  14
BC  12
OR  11
TX  10

DL 45
F  27
G  22
PA 17
I  16
OK 13
EA 12
JA 11
S5 10

-- K1TN FIVE YEAR STATS --

Included are major contests, minor ones, and some QSO Parties.

Number of QSOs

2009 K1TN/2  4590
2010 K1TN/2 and K1TN/9  7268
2011 K1TN/9  7689