[3830] ARRL 10 K7XC SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 16 00:18:04 EST 2013

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K7XC
Operator(s): K7XC
Station: K7XC

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: Terrell, TX - EM12

   CW:  146    57
  SSB:  130    49
-------------------
Total:  276   106  Total Score = 89,464

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

K7XC - Single Op Low Power Mixed Mode - 100W from either a IC-746 (CW) or a
FT-897 (SSB) into a Dipole at 16' oriented N/S between two trees in the RV park
we currently call home.

Was like a ice cold Field Day event as when the contest started the antenna was
unassembled bits of stranded bare copper antenna wire, Mil Spec/Surplus RG-58A/U
Coax, and Antique Ceramic antenna Insulators stored in in a transit case
attached to the rear deck of the travel trailer.

Around 10AM Saturday I began the process of redoing the 2" OD/20' mil
surplus mast attached to the RVs rear bumper. Removing the VHF/UHF Discone and
then reinstalling the KB6KQ Horizontal loops for 50 & 144 MHz. At the 16'
level I used a guy ring designed for the mast to hold a rope and pulley
assembly.

After a short break to defrost my numb fingers I built a brand spanking new 10M
Dipole and hoisted it in place, set up the end ropes on a pair of handy trees,
Lowered it to attached the RG-58A/U and just as the winds became very annoying
trimmed both ends 3" shorter to achieve a 1-1 match at 28.100 MHz.

With a brand spanking new 28 MHz dipole oriented N/S I began to work the
contest and found myself amazed at how well I was doing with such a minimal
station. Over the weekend I would commit a total of 8 hrs to the event and
worked all 6 continents and quite a handful of multipliers.

Not bad for not having a antenna when the event started!

Thanks to all who dug out my often weak signal..

73s from North Texas de Tim - K7XC - EM12... sk