[3830] ARRL 10 K0LUZ SO CW QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 16 09:05:51 EST 2013

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K0LUZ
Operator(s): K0LUZ
Station: K0LUZ

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: NFL

   CW:  475   110
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  475   110  Total Score = 209,000

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

QRP seems to make you more aware of the conditions of the band.  This year the
best description I can use to define conditions was "Quirky".  There
seemed to be times that my TH6DXX at 70 feet acted more like a vertical than a
directional antenna. Worked some South Americans with the beam pointed North
and with only 5 watts,  that is something!   Also there were times that
although I was only running 5 watts,  it seemed everyone was copying my signal
just great.  Other times I could call stations and all I would get was another
CQ in my face.  These were strong station and mostly US.  Perhaps the time of
the day had something to do with it.  It seemed to be from about 1800Z to 2200Z
both days.  Also the Europe stations were coming in from the South prior to the
band really opening.  No one loud enough to actually work,  but plenty of
signals when the beam was pointed straight south toward Anartica.  Skip in US
never got very short missing states such as OH and MI with the majority of
signals coming from the west.

But let us enjoy the fact that at least there were plenty of signals - and from
other parts of the world too!  So overall,  an educational experience that
hopefully will drain my desires to go qrp in a contest again.

73
Red K0LUZ