[3830] ARRL 10 N9NC M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 17 07:53:35 EST 2013

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N9NC
Operator(s): N9NC
Station: N9NC

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NH

   CW: 1881   165
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1881   165  Total Score = 1,241,460

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

The GOOD: SSN, SFI > 150

 Propagation WAY better than last year, almost as good as '11 - Cycle 24 still
has legs!

The BAD: Many recent DX Mults QRT

 There was a wonderful proliferation of DX and contest expeditions in/around CQ
WW that lingered into the 160M test - they've since gone home, and were sorely
missed this weekend.

The UGLY: Friday the 13th, on a Sunday

For 5 years now Murphy avoided me in NH, this year he hit with vengeance:

- Rotor failed 1st thing Sunday morning, used a rope and rotated once only,
about 2pm.
- 87A fault 1 (PIN diode bias) 9am at 150/hour rate. Kept going LP, but at
90/hour.
- Activated backup L4-B (WB9JMJ memorial) after EU slowed, but no relay, foot
switch only.
- Moments later, in sympathy with the Alpha, for no other reason, the FT-1000MP
MK V did a full reset (7 MHz all settings lost, etc.); recovered, but lost run
frequency.
- 20Z, had to stop a 100 S&P hour to clear 14" fresh snow from
driveway while still daylight, for the work week.

Normally I don't list excuses, this time they were overwhelming.

Maybe I need a goat.        (See KL7RA's cq cw post, if needed.)

The EXCELLENT: skimvalid = no busted spots

 AR Cluster's CT1BOH Spot Quality filter 'set dx filter skimvalid', conceived
by CT1BOH and coded by AB5K, is simply excellent.  No more busted spots on the
band map.
 If you haven't tried this, you should.  It made a dramatic difference,
especially Sunday afternoon.
http://ab5k.net/ArcDocsVer6/UserManual/ArcDx_CT1BOH.htm

The WTF?

 A PA2 called and worked me Saturday morning early, again Saturday afternoon,
then yet again Sunday late in the opening with numbers 5, 15, and 19,
respectively.  I'm wishing my call is correct in his log for at least one of
those QSOs...

Maybe he should look into 'skimvalid'.

  - - -

All in all a great time, downright excellent to experience so much activity and
work the same new and old friends from CQ WW, SS, 160, again, all in one band.

Let's hope we get another go at it on 10m in '14 not '24!

73,

Tom N9NC