[3830] ARRL 10 NN3V SO SSB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 17 10:13:10 EST 2013

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NN3V
Operator(s): NN3V
Station: NN3V

Class: SO SSB LP
QTH: Poway

   CW:    0     0
  SSB:  466    92
-------------------
Total:  466    92  Total Score = 86,664

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Station is Yaesu FT-5000 with 4 rlrmrnt SteppIr yagi.

Obviously one of the best 10 meter contests in a long time. Saturday better
than Sunday for band conditions.

Had a very interesting experience that demonstrated the current difference
between traditional  and SDR radios!

I've evolved the shack to using LP-PAN and software control for my FT-5000.
With he wide pan-scope display and the visible modulations, if I am in search
and pounce, I just point and click on the transmitting station waveform, verify
it is not a dupe, and work it.As you can imagine, it makes sliding up or down
the band very simple and quick. My trusty Yaesu FT-5000 just sits behind the
wide screen, and I forget about it. Everything (logging, radio mode, DSP, etc)
is controlled on the wide screens in front of me.

Well, about 1/2 way through the contest, for the first time ever in my
experience, the "Bill Gates BSD" struck. The computer simply died.
ZIP. NADA. After 30 minutes of trouble shooting I gave up. Lifted the wide
screen display away from the FT-5000, brought up the back-up laptop (that can
not be interfaced to any radio), and started twirling knobs on the radio,
watching the VFO read-out, and logging contacts on the bare3 bones N1MM program
on the laptop. I suppose my next stepl would have been paper and pencil, but
things did not get that bad!

YEP. SDR is a load of fun. Makes contacts easy! But until all SDR radios (Hello
Flex...?) come equipped with a solid VFO display and knobs, IMHO they certainly
are not contest ready.

Now back to trying to figure out what Bill Gates did inside my computer!

73 de NN3V