[3830] ARRL 10 ZM90DX(@ZL3IO) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 17 18:09:38 EST 2013

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: ZM90DX
Operator(s): ZL2GQ ZL3IO
Station: ZL3IO

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Waimarama Heights

   CW:
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 2966   272  Total Score = 2,392,512

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

A daughter & father activity with our special call sign for 90 years of
DXing achievments from New Zealand. Please check www.zm90dx.com.

The call is not "easy going" for a contest, especially not in SSB and
caused many requests for repeats. We never worked so many dupes in a contest
before. So we guess, that the call will be wrong in many logs.

Our 6L yagi for 10m made problems and we had to take it down to find the
failure (antenna or coax?). The only time slot available to do all the work was
Saturday morning before the contest which starts at 1pm local time in ZL. We did
not want to go any risk and bought some 2.4 m bamboo spreaders in the local
nursery to re-built the 3L quad that we designed & erected 2 years ago for
Carl's (AI6V/P40V) participation in the same contest as ZM2V. He won the DX
category as SOHPmix in 2011.

The "To Do" list for the morning also included laying new control
cables, new antenna switch to be installed and laying of new coax to the quad.
30 min before the contest we were ready to go and Sassi started with a nice US
pile up. Conditions were great and the band open almost 24 h for us. We had to
force us to do the required breaks. Why is a Multi operator station limited to
36 hours?

We assume, that many stations did not know the rules. Trying to move people
into the other mode to get the needed multi was almost impossible.

By the end the ZL and also the Oceania record were history. Now we have to wait
for the log checking and the competition to see where we really stand.

station: K3 + KPA500
antennas: 3L 10m quad (wideband design on a 4m boom) & hexbeam

Thanks for the contacts!

Sassi, ZL2GQ & Holger, ZL2IO / ZL3IO