[3830] TBDC SE0X(SM0MDG) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 29 16:17:03 EST 2013

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: SE0X
Operator(s): SM0MDG
Station: SE0X

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Stockholm

Total:  QSOs = 383  Total Score = 1,912

Missed the Stew last Xmas so I really looked forward to it this year.

The contest started with a decent rate of mainly with low-point contacts. There
was very little DX in the early evening. JH2FXK called me two and a half hours
into the test and it made me hopeful. But it would take another two hours for
the next JA to appear. The first NA station, W1WEF, was logged just before
22:00.

The longest contact logged was with VK6DXI who called me around 21:00 for 27
points. I tried several times for CE1/K7RCA which would have been the second
longest, but no cigar. KV4FZ and FM5CD was a lot easier, only one call was
needed to enter their logs. And I got pleasantly surprised when V55V called me
in the middle of the night.

A more disturbing surprise was that the North West pennant failed around
midnight. Of course it was wet and windy in addition to being dark! Grabbed a
flashlight and went out to find a bad connection. 20 minutes later the antenna
was working again.

RIG: K3 + 1kW
TX ANT: 18 meter top loaded vertical with two elevated (and bent!) radials
RX ANT: Pennants + Clifton active whip for diversity RX.