[3830] RAC Winter VE4GV SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 29 23:19:22 EST 2013

                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE4GV
Operator(s): VE4GV
Station: VE4GV

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: MB
Operating Time (hrs): 04:23

   40:   98    119       9        11
   20:   47    277       5        12
   15:   26     83       4         8
Total:  171    429      18        31  Total Score = 165,326

Club: Manitoba Contest Club

Comments:

I had originally intended to help  Cary VE4EA full time at his QTH, using the
VE4RAC call. Things were a bit slow late Friday evening so I elected to drive
back to my place, get a decent bit of shuteye and come back refreshed.
Unfortunately, the weather turned very bad on Saturday morning and we had a
mini-blizzard. Driving conditions deteriorated and while I did manage to make
it to VE4EA's QTH that morning, I had some doubts as to whether I would be able
to make it out of his driveway with my low slung Jag XK if I stayed the
duration!! (Its not exactly a VE4 winter car.) I made the decision to bail
early in the afternoon, leaving Cary to finish the test. Good thing that I did.
The car got stuck in a drift as I was backing out and a neighbor had to help
push me out. Thankfully, the city plows were out in full force to make a path
home for my return trip. Such are the perils of those who dare to venture into
the realm of the 40 Below Barenaked Contesters!

I returned to my home QTH and decided to put some time in during the last 5
hours.  Runs were actually pretty decent for the 4+ hours I was on. 15 was
already starting to lose steam and the 2 el 40 M beam helped with 40 M CW Qs.
I'm wondering how I may have done by not splitting the effort.

Anyway, I was glad to put the RAC call on the air with Cary. I was pleased to
see that he was well on his way to getting his shack permanently assembled
after so many years of contest inactivity. Its nice to have someone local to
push you. Since VE4VV's and VE4RM's passing (SKs), there haven't been a lot of
us VE4s who have a higher profile (though VE4VT (Ed- VE4EAR) and ever present
VE4YU (Ed) have done a great job to help shore up the VE4 QSO supply.)

I also got a chance to use Cary's K3 for the contest. (I had considering a K
line purchase.) As much as I like the rig, I'm glad that my new TS 990 is on
the way, hopefully by mid month. We'll see how it stacks up against my 20 year
old trusty 1000D.

Thanks to all the participants for the Qs. While contests tend to be frenetic
by nature, RAC contests seem to me to attract a more friendly, relaxed
op....must be 'cuz were Canadians, eh!

Happy New Year to all.

Rob VE4GV