[3830] TBDC W1SJ Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 30 03:17:45 EST 2013

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W1SJ
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: W1SJ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VT

Total:  QSOs = 479  Total Score = 1,588

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont

Comments:

Had some free time, so I decided to try this one out. Didn't expect to do very
well since I use a low dipole and feed off of many close-in contacts.  It was
strange doing this for the first time - I thought I was back in the VHF QSO
Party! And the scoring - my score is what my old contest software has spit out
- I have no idea if it is close to being right. And anyway, the contest gods
will determine the score, so I'm told.

My area of Vermont was buried under of sheet of ice, so I wasn't sure if any
antennas would work. Fortunately, the dipole came right up to speed and some
quick hacking and clearing got the beverages back up. Conditions were nothing
to write home about - EU seemed anemic - got a bunch, but there should have
been more. The west coast did better, and I had a nice signal from K9FD in HI.
Things got very slow in the wee hours, but fortunately, I keep a good book
handy to pass the time.