[3830] TBDC W2GD Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 31 00:30:14 EST 2013

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): K2TW N2NC W2CG W2GD W2RQ N2HM N2OO N2OZ
Station: W2GD

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: FM29

Total:  QSOs = 715  Total Score = 3,459

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

K3 x 2, IC756ProII, Alpha 99 @ 1.4KW, Acom 2S1 lockout, Win-Test Software
2 el vertical wire beams NE and WSW @ 240'
Beverages NE, E/W, SW, W, NW, N/S

The weather was perfect for a December Saturday morning (sunny, 45F, low wind)
to work through a "To Do" list left over from the ARRL 160 weekend.
We spent about two hours out in the salt marsh resolving installation issues
with the NE wire yagi and then doing some fine tuning.  The net result was a TX
system that is finally 100% reliable.

Then we focused on the beverages for a few hours.  Our new 4 ele NE phased
beverage array which covers 19.2 acres was walked and the original 1000 foot
element (installed ~10 years ago) was replaced when we discovered significant
corrosion.  Nothing lasts forever at a saltwater site.

At the start of the contest in attendance were K2TW, W2CG and W2GD.  N2NC
called in that he would arrive around 7 p.m.  W2RQ was originally expected at
11 p.m. but showed up unannounced about 6:30 p.m.  N2OO stopped by to bring us
some cookies and provide moral support around 8 p.m. We didn't have the
"cast of thousands" like we normally do for 160 events, just enough
operators to keep things rolling along smoothly.

The Stew is our second favorite TopBand event and we use it make final
preparations for CQ160 CW.  Overall the station seemed to finally be working
without issues.  We weren't overly aggressive but it seems our final score is
respectable.  Conditions to EU was best the first few hours so we tried to work
as many stations over the pond as we could while conditions were cooperative.
The first two hours were probably the best in this regard.  Over the course of
the contest we logged 105 EUs but there was never what you would call a 'run'.
We felt overall conditions were at best 'fair' but most of the time 'poor'
across the Atlantic. Signals were weak and deep QSB was the norm. Felt we were
being heard better in EU than we could hear much of the time....although this
is probably true regardless, given our gain TX antenna/saltwater location.
Highlight of first few hours was having V55V call in at 0126Z.  CE1/K7CA was a
first call QSO as usual...thanks Al.  Very little Carib action but what there
was we worked without hesitation.  We CQed up around 1826 most of the
time....which seemed to yield pretty good rate and visibility.  No one
seriously tried to take our frequency.  We seemed to work most stations first
or second call regardless of direction when in S&P mode on the 'mult'
station. Conditions toward the west seemed somewhat better than ARRL 160
weekend, but the activity level wasn't overwhelming.

EU sunrise came and went with not much enhancement.  Last EU worked was SM2LIY
at 0818z.   The final few hours were a grind but we managed to log four KH6s
and three VK6s for some serious points.  Never heard a JA and KL7RA just never
got loud enough to be workable.  Our score is about 25% higher than last year
so I suppose this was an above average Stew weekend for us.  Congrats to the
N0NI team on their big claimed score....we are speculating you worked a
sizeable number of JAs.

Thanks to WYRS-FM for continuing to be a great hosts!

Look forward to working everyone during the CQ160 CW.

HNY and 73,

John,  W2GD for the TEAM