[3830] RTTY WPX VE9AA SOSB15(TS) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 10 19:04:58 EST 2013

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB15(TS) LP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Random thoughts.
It was, in about 90% of cases, a waste of time to call a station if they were
559 or less....still, there were some who copied me first call, even @ 519, so
what
are these guys doing, that 95% of others are not? (hmmm)
Sure is hard to be heard with 100w and  a (40m/15m) wire ground plane, the base
of which is now barely above the snow ! (HI)
15m is not my best band.
You are not able to run with a 40m ground plane (on 15m) with 100w.
The wind and snow @ 100km/h peaks creates havoc with the HV lines in the
neighborhood, making it hard to heard.
Luckily (!) only the loudest stations are hearing me anyways, so it provides a
type of LP filter (LP being Low Power, not low pass)
It's much much harder to be heard with 100w on RTTY than on CW.
Some RTTY contesters don't have enough delay set on their CQ's for me to even
send "DE VE9AA VE9AA" and they are already
CQing again.
RTTY contesting is not my gig....but I am trying.....and will keep trying....
Highlights were getting 2 JA's and also ZC4LI in the log.  That ZC4LI guy has
great ears.  In the top 5% of the guys who were less
than 559 here but still heard me....in the middle of a EU pileup at that.
I felt like a QRPer in a SSB contest.  Very humbling.
It's hard to get used to the pace of a RTTY contest when you are a small water
pistol station !
Spent the last 6.5 out of 7 hours of the contest, unhooking all my radios and
rebuilding my huge desk into one where the shelves are spaced
out a little better.  Hooked up my new IC-7410 and made the last 5 Q's with
that.  The previous 250 were with my old n' tired IC-746.
Antenna is a wire ground plane, base up around 10'?
Mike VE9AA
N1MM, MMTTY 1.68