[3830] RTTY WPX ZL1G(ZL2HAM) SOAB(TS) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 10 19:51:54 EST 2013

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: ZL1G
Operator(s): ZL2HAM
Station: ZL1G

Class: SOAB(TS) HP
QTH: Nelson, NZ

I'm a relative RTTY newbie. I've done several one-day or part-day RTTY contests
to help me improve my operating technique (which still needs work!), but this
was my first full two-day.

Condx were reasonably good, except 10 was terrible. The noise level on 40 was
surprisingly low, with more activity and easier operating than I recall seeing
in quite a while. I had many good runs on 15 and 20, and some on 40. 15 was the
hot band, mainly to EU, UA and JA (typical for my QTH). Although I had a few Q's
to the US, it never fully opened for me. I had maybe 1 in South America, 1 in
AF, and only a handful in Oceania. 1 QRP contact from Italy, in the middle of a
pileup no less.

Lots of gremlins: RFI problems that caused both my SDR and MKII to crash, PC
driver problems causing blue screen crashes, a new and mildly annoying fan
vibration noise when the amp runs at full fan speed for an extended time, and
some quirks (of my own doing) in the way I have to handle antenna tuning, due
to the fact that the SWR changes with heading.

Working conditions: Yaesu FTdx5000 (with 300 Hz roofing filter), RFSpace
NetSDR, microHAM MKII, UltraBeam UB-50 antenna, PST-61 rotator, Green Heron
RT-21, SPE Expert 2K-FA amplifier, N1MM Logger, SDR-Radio Console.