[3830] RTTY WPX VA7ST SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 11 01:12:25 EST 2013

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: BC

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

* N1MM Logger + MMTTY
* FT2000 |  FT920 second radio
* 3-ele. Steppir @ 27'
* 18AVT/WB all-band vertical for 2nd radio
* 40M Steppir dipole 27'
* 40M 2-element full-size quad in trees
* 80M twin elevated verticals (E or W)

2013 -- SFI = 108 |  A = 3           | K = 1
2012 -- SFI = 110 |  A = 3           | K = 1
2011 -- SFI =  96 |  A = 2           | K = 1
2010 -- SFI =  94 |  A = 3           | K = 2
2009 -- SFI =  70 |  A = 4 > 18 > 10 | K = 1 > 4 > 2

 Band    QSOs      Pts  WPX
   3.5      53     206   24
     7     174     710   73
    14     319     801  194
    21     350     786  144
    28     145     306   31
 Total    1041    2809  466
Score: 1,308,994

Conditions seemed above average, but less than great. 10M produced domestic Qs
aplenty, but not like 15M and 20M did. No DX openings other than South America,
which provide few Qs.

The 20M EU opening on Sunday morning lasted a long time, but wasn't as solid as
I had hoped for.

Up on 15M the opening was much shorter but deeper -- one of those mornings with
loud, crystal-clear signals until the bottom dropped out.

Had a really great surprise 20M mult from LA7JO at 2300z on my little vertical,
when nobody else was calling in. The vertical wasn't getting out too well, but
the low noise floor made everything stand out if it made it down the coax.

Low bands disappointed -- 80M was empty all night (as expected with the long
off-times driving sleep breaks). 40M was all right but not a DX band from out
west with just a low dipole and an even lower quad.

Took four breaks of 1.5 to 2.5 hours or so, and two long sleep breaks of 6 and
7.5 hours each. Ended up with 25.5 hours in the chair. I don't think I missed
any good hours.

Surprised at how useful the all-band vertical was for holding a second band
while the yagi or wire arrays were on the primary bands. Mostly dueling CQs,
with occasional forays up or down the bands looking for prefixes that weren't
roaming.

Truly amazing to work dozens of stations in an area, only to have someone from
the same region park inside an already narrow passband and start barking CQs in
my face. Some guys are all watts and not much else. Fortunately, plenty of loud
callers usually elbow out anyone too close for comfort.

Not much for rate throughout the contest. Best hour was 67, but there were LOTS
of hours over 50/hr and it is true: slow but steady really adds up. Average
hourly rate was 41 Qs.

Had a goal of beating last year, and perhaps pushing past all previous bests
including high-power years. Done. Felt great to break 1,000 contacts and 1M
points without the amp, and then to go beyond my 2007 HP totals. Credit the
second radio for producing 318 Qs and countless extra mults during time usually
wasted in previous years.

Thanks for all the contacts. This was one to remember.

-- Bud VA7ST

Score history:
Year  Qs    WPX   Score
-------------------------