[3830] RTTY WPX AB1J SOSB15(TS) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Feb 12 20:43:18 EST 2013

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOSB15(TS) LP
QTH: Waltham, MA

The past three years I went 40m in this contest, but Mother Nature switched me
to 15 this year due to the great blizzard of 2013.  During nor'easters,
hurricanes and bad snow storms generally, I have to take down my 40m stealth
antenna.  It and its supporting sapling are not strong enough to carry the wind
and snow loading.  There was no problem going to 15m (up in the attic, safe as
long as the roof doesn't blow off or collapse) but I was hoping for better
conditions (SFI=104 at start, 106 at end).  I'm coming to agree with those who
think Cycle 24 peaked in the fall of 2011.  Luckily, I was alive then.

During slow times, I shoveled snow.  Good exercise to counter BIC stiffness.

Based on someone's advice, K6LL, I think, I removed all superfluous line feeds
and hope that kept me from scurrying off others' screens.  I liked the way
things looked on my screen.

In spite of less than stellar conditions, I really enjoyed the contest.  What I
like about RTTY contesting is the interplay between the rig, the computer, the
software and me (the weak link).  I like tweaking the gear, fussing with
profiles, fiddling with marcos and experimenting with various options.  I run
each contest a little differently and always look forward to the next one.
Although I'll operate in various RTTY contests through the spring and summer,
the next biggie for me is the WW-RTTY in September.  Quite a long wait.

Thanks for all the QSOs.

73,
Kermit (Ken) AB1J

FT-2000