[3830] ARRLDX CW VE9AA SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 17 19:04:53 EST 2013

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 32:35

Total: 2158   388  Total Score = 2,482,812

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Random Thoughts for the ARRL DX CW 2013 by Mike-VE9AA
AKA: Diary of a raving, but wearyNew Brunswicker.
-No Packet/Telnet.
-Gotta luv 10 Meters !
-A65BP is some loud on 80m just after his sunrise. Honest 5NN and suprised the
heck outta me - thanks !
-C4N was everywhere and loud....stn improvements?
-Gotta luv 10 Meters !
-Antennas here are all low, wire, ground planes, with the exception of 10m,
where I mostly use a very low 5-el yagi (and also a wire ground plane)
-Sunday afternoons are slooooow
-Making 40m and 15m Q's using a 10m yagi is stupid. -I'll never do THAT again-
(hi)
-Went into this thinking if I broke 500k, I would be happy with myself and very
small stn.
-There is no VE8AA contesting.
-VE9 is NB , always....
-Some of those "QRP"signals out of EU are some freakin' loud. (other QRPers
just have attitude and a totally believable signal)
-Sunday afternoon are a good time to type random thoughts on the contest, while
calling endless CQ's on 15m.
-Sunday afternoon I think the MUF is stalled between 10m and 15m....signals are
way way down all of a sudden.
-Why are W/VE stns calling me?
-I think I am liking my new rig.  IC-7410, though it has a few quirks.
-My stealth antenna for listening on 160m is now a Carolina Windom OCF-160
laying under a foot of snow. (windstorm last weekend and snow this one)
-Too bad I didn't get to use my stealth rx antenna much on Top Band.
-My rate has plummeted and I feel the coax getting warm
-I am sure the 4" underground pipe which is 165' long  is now home to a bunch
of warm rodents.
-Can I stay away the last ~6 hours....?
-Sounds like an Aurora brewin'
-Why do stns who are 20/9 feel it neccessary to repeat their calls back to you,
even though you've said it once, or maybe twice!
-I keep thinking I must have busted it-
-It's easy to find a 40m run frequency @ 3pm EST !
-Blowing snow creates havoc with QRN on 40m ;-)
-10m was AWESOME , but shame path wasn't longer...
-Why do weak DX stns in the noise send "?" after every one of my CQ's ? (are
they expecting something more?)
-when doing S&P, the stn I call asks for many repeats and then I find out they
are running QRP ! (I am running 749watts)
-HV static (QRN) hurts my ears.
-Some random thoughts get siller the lower the Q rate plummets.
-Thailand Worked. YAY! :-)
-While calling CQ for EU's, a JA just blew me out of my seat on 40m. ...that
never happens-wow...
-Major BIC time takes stamina.(and a sore butt)
-10m is much quiter than the snap, crackle and pops I hear on 40m during a
blizzard (lots more elbow room too)
-Are you getting a sense I like 10m?
-How many CQ's can I guy listen to in his headphone before he's stark raving
mad?
-probably my best time to try marathon sessions would've been 20-30 yrs ago !
-I have no idea what my goal is now that I 	have passed 500k mark.. Stay awake
maybe ?
-Sure are a lot of key clicks and whatever this contest.
-Condx on 160m are stinko. (again 2nite)
-Thanks to VP2EC who gave me a new mult with only 40 seconds to go !
-Finally....I think this says it all: WHEW  !